Fridge vs Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDengler

Reaction score
I'm thinking over what keg setup I want to invest in. I would like the possibility of lagering as well as holding 3-4 at corneys at most. I see that a lot of you guys have the keezer setup and I was wondering if anyone has listed the differences pros and cons from experience. ie: efficiency, versatility, capacity...

I also am going to put the kegerator in the garage all year, so I am looking for efficiency as well. Another concern I have is during the winter is there a way to keep it from freezing?

Finally any advice to stores online that sell kegging equipment used or new. Corney's, CO2, valves, hoses, ect.

You might be able to get away without a temp controller if you use a frdge, but you definitely need one if you go the freezer route. If you don't want a tower, you will probably need to build a collar or coffin box if you use a freezer. With modern appliances, I don't think power efficiency makes much of a dent anymore. If space is not a concern, I would go with the biggest chest freezer I could afford.

For the actual kegging equipment, there is a sticky thread with various recommendations. Just make sure you don't buy from kegkits.com.

Freezers have much better insulation, typically double that of a fridge. They also come in many more sizes, in terms of floor space. Speaking from experience, I had a fridge based setup, my new one is a freezer. I like the new one better.

I have a fridge with 6 beers on tap. The Do it yourself factor was actully fairly low. The biggest challange was just drilling holes thru the door and hooking up all the faucets.

The other thing i had to do was build a plywood shelf so i could get 6 kegs in the fridge.

Keezers, yes you can basicly go as big as you want. There has been some people that have made countertops on top and around the freezer and made it just look like a bar with a door to get into the freezer.
Plus you have to buy a tower or make one.

Basicly what it boils down to, Is how much time do you have on your hands?
How much extra $$ do you have?
Do you like to tinker and take everything to the extreme?

One other thought. Used fridges are fairly common for fairly cheep.
I got a 2 year old fridge that a gal didnt "like" anymore for $200

Ye I'm thinking the fridge route for my first version of kegging. I don't think I'll be tapping more than 4 kegs at one time.

Should I be cautious of the beer in fridge freezing over the winter months?

I'm craigslisting fridges/freezers to find a decent deal. Than I'll just purchase a kegerator kit. Anyone suggest a retailer for online purchasing of Kegs and taps? Other than Kegkits.

...I'm craigslisting fridges/freezers to find a decent deal. Than I'll just purchase a kegerator kit. Anyone suggest a retailer for online purchasing of Kegs and taps? Other than Kegkits.

kegconnection.com has been good to many here at HBT. i am getting ready to make a big purchase from them. but i say do your research and find who has the best prices for what you want first.

edit: i got the taps and some other stuff from a group buy at Austin Homebrew, hence-doing research.:D

If your garage temps are below freezing for a length of time whether its a freezer or fridge you will need a temp controller to be used with heat. Prolong exposure to mid 20's the beer freeze

Definitely freezer. MUCH more efficient.
think of it like this, not only, is the fridge better insulated for keeping cooler temperatures.

but it's also made to go well below 0 fahrenheit. the fridge is made to go maybe... 35f?

so to get each to 65 degrees or 50 degrees, is much easier with the freezer because it will keep it there longer and will use less energy to keep it there

I have both. I would go with a chest freezer and controller. You can get a chest freezer that will hold 5 kegs for $250 at lowes. A controller will cost you about $60.

Get a controller to monitor the temp. Stick a space heater in it if the temp drops below 35. My chest freezer may turn on once a day while my fridge runs all the time. Also when you open the door to the fridge all the cold "falls out" while a chest freezer hold that cold blanket in it. I find that my chest freezer turns on rarely while my fridge is always running.

You can better utilitize space in a chest freezer since there is so much wasted space above the kegs in a fridge.

The main draw back to a chest freezer is top loading verse front loading. If you try to load fermenters in it you may have to get inside to safely place it down. One time I sprained my arm and loading kegs into my chest freezer was aweful! Make sure you have a strong back!

Back