Fridge or freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieGalea

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What is the best option to use with an inkbird controller, a fridge or a freezer as a ferment chamber?

I currently run a fridge but thinking to add another one.

Any refrigerating appliance will work. It really depends on the space you have available. A chest freezer takes up more floor space, unless it’s quite small, an upright freezer or fridge takes up more wall space. I use two fridges, one for serving, one for fermenting. I have the luxury of brewing in a semi finished basement where space isn’t at a premium and I don’t have to try to make the appliances fit in with the decor of a finished room.

I prefer an upright freezer. This way I can get cold temps for lagering and cold crashing. A freezer, by definition, seems that it would do a better job at getting down toward freezing temps.

I have two questions:
- what is the warmest temperature the control can be set to?
- what happens when the power is interrupted to the unit - does it remember the last setting or does it go to a default setting?

Copied from user manual

This freezer can be used as either a freezer or refrigerator (fridge) for
your food storage needs; however the default temperature setting is 0 °F
(-18 °C).
• Freezer mode temperature range: 10 °F ~ -11 °F (-12 °C ~ -24 °C).
• Fridge mode temperature range: 35 °F ~ 46 °F (2 °C ~ 8 °C).

When fermenting, mine is in freezer mode and controlled by an Inkbird controller with the probe in a thermowell. It keeps the last setting between power cycling of the controller.

Currently, it is in fridge mode and full of beer, soft drinks, kombucha, and bottled water.

Last edited:
Back