Fridge of Freezer for Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macminn18

Reaction score
I would like to build a keezer. Initially was thinking of a chest freezer, but I'm limited on floor space.
I'm leaning towards an upright freezer. What is better, an upright freezer or upright fridge? I only am looking to get 4 or 5 kegs in there.

Yeah, I'd go with fridge too but with a freezer, if you don't need the room. I might prefer the freezer on the top though to make it easier to get the kegs in and out. Having a freezer on the fridge is handy for storing, hops, beer glasses, and such. I went the keezer route myself because I wanted lots of room. Right now I have a 15 Gallon Sanke, 7.5 Gallon Sanke, and 3 corny kegs in there.

Thanks for the reply, it just seems the majority of what I've seen is freezers converted. More curious than anything of why freezers, because they're more plentiful used, better insulation, less energy, just trying to figure out which way to go.

I've never thought about it beyond what would work best for me but my guess is, layout, initial cost, and energy consumption.

I think that the overall internal layout is just easier with a freezer having more floor space.

I would *assume* a chest freezer converted, might be more efficient because it might be better insulated also since the temp inside versus outside is so different. Also, cold air sinks and opening it would not loose as much of the cold air. A chest freezer I looked up at HD was rated at $26 per year and a fridge/freezer was $48 AND the chest freezer was also less expensive.

The freezers are Cheaper in general to buy used. but you also need to buy tempature control and maybe make a collar for it, so It is almost the same prices if you only need 3 or 4 kegs.:)

Back