Fridge/freezer fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnation

Reaction score
I'm planning to pick up refrigerator off craigslist. I want to cut out the wall between the freezer and fridge so it's one big open fermentire chamber and plug it into a temp controller. My question is will this be a problem since it will be running the freezer too. I don't see why it would be but I wanted to be sure

I would check to make sure there are no freon lines running in the wall. You cut one of those then you just have a big insulated box. It also seems to me that the center wall would play a bit into the structural integrity of the fridge. Im not a fridge structural engineer but if it were my fridge I would avoid cutting it in general.

Ended up finding a fridge with no freezer on craigslist for $50. Plugged into ranco tsat and working beautifully. Going to add 2x4s to the front like they do keezers and reattach the doors. Then I will be able to house 8 carboys.

2016-08-02 16.45.57.jpg

If you shave the door (remove the shelves) you should gain 4" of depth. By adding a wooded collar to the front may cause the door not to seal properly since the gasket is magnetic and requires a metal surface to seal properly.

Do you really need room for 8 carboys in a fermentor? Looks like you have room for 4 as it sits,seems like a waste to tinker with it.Four going at once is a lot and should be more than sufficient.

I will need room for more than 4. I will be adding new hinges and a latch that will hold it tight. Will be no problem and sealed tight

Latest posts

Back