Freshops Rhizomes Sprout Fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$bill

Reaction score
I ordered on March 08 and received my three rhizomes (Goldings, Magnum, and Zeus) on Thursday March 11 or Friday March 12 (can't recall). I put them into pots as soon as they arrived, and noticed today that my Magnum and Zeus are already sprouting.

Hops%203-19-2010%20002.jpg

The above shows the Magnum sprouts, after just a week in a container full of Miracle-Gro potting soil.

Hops%203-19-2010%20005.jpg

Zeus. Closeup of the sprouts below.

Zeus-Sprouts-Closeup.jpg

The rhizomes they sent me this time were big. I didn't order any jumbos, but I think the Magnum and the Zeus probably could have qualified as jumbo rhizomes.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but isn't the whole rhizome supposed to be buried? I thought you were supposed to plant the whole rhizome, shoots pointing up, under about 2" of soil.

I'm not an expert, but when I looked at these rhizomes, it appeared to me they had shipped me rhizomes that were from the partially above-ground portion of the plants, judging by the look of the bark, etc. So I planted them in such a way as to make the portions that looked to have been above-ground, above-ground, if you follow.

My experience has been that the shoots coming off the above ground portion will be over-taken by new shoots from the underground portion. This has been true even on 3-4 year old plants.

But, don't worry about it.

I'm not an expert, but when I looked at these rhizomes, it appeared to me they had shipped me rhizomes that were from the partially above-ground portion of the plants, judging by the look of the bark, etc.

The rootball under the soil naturally becomes very woody after 2 or 3 years.

Back