Freshops Rant / leftover hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got around to buying some foodsaver bags so i could divide up some of the bigger bags i got from freshops.com in the fall. most of the bags are right on weight, or a couple grams over, but 2 of the bags have been short by a whole half ounce. it really pissed me off, especially considering that during the same time period folks were reporting getting orders from hopsdirect that were 50% or even 100% bigger than what they'd ordered. in retrospect i suppose it was foolish for hopsdirect to be so loose with there measurements, but i'd at least expect my hops to weigh what i ordered. freshops has definitely turned me off as a customer, but i'm not sure that matters in the long run given the state of the market.

as for the bags that were a gram or 2 over, i've been putting the scraps all together in a ziplock and writing the contents with weight and AA%. question is what to do with this? my options so far are to either use it to dry hop, or to use it as a bittering addition. i'm leaning toward bittering, just because i think the 8-9 different varieties will end being a little muddy tasting as a dry hop, and a lot of the varieties are high AA%, so i think i'll get the most bang. i'm curious as to what ya'll think about the best use for these leftovers.

Personaly, I dont look a gift horse in the mouth... Anywhere I am able to pick up a pound of hops for $2 an oz nowadays is ok with me... even if I am a gram or two short...

(not to hijack the thread) Of course If anyone knows of a better place to get hops right now, please let me know...:D

Well that too. Just keep in mind that if your scale reads .05 ounce low, for the first 15 oz, you were bagging 1.05 ounces in each bag for a total of 15.75 ounces. Anyway, 5 hundredths of an ounce is likely within tolerance for the scale, especially if it has a max range into 10+ pounds.

The overage of a few grams, cool!

The missing of half an ounce, however, I would be pissed about. If it was a box of cereal or something, not so much. However in brewing the difference between an ounce of hops and half an ounce of hops is the difference between one recipe and another.

Getting a good per-ounce price on hops is great, but so is getting the product that was advertised and paid for.

That assumes, for a moment, that you're sure your scale is accurate. ;)

what's with all the scale talk? it's a digital scale that measures to 1/10 gram. what a silly comment to make, "if my scale is accurate". kevin dean is right, half of an ounce is a lot given the scale of our recipes. yes, i bought these hops months ago before prices went crazy; so?! half an ounce missing from a 4oz bag is 12.5%. who wants to give up 12.5% of their paycheck? how about buying a gallon of milk with a pint already missing? i don't care that i didn't get a huge overweight bag of hops like the folks ordering from hopsdirect, i do care when i don't get what i paid for.

If you're that fired up about it then call them and let them know that they shorted you 1/2 oz.

I too ordered some from them and received exactly what I paid for. Why blast a company for a simple mistake? You should call them first--seems the only decent thing to do. And if they said, "forget it," then come here and rant. However, I doubt they would do that and would accommodate you and your order.

While your scale may weigh to 0.1 gram, that does not mean it is accurate. If you want to give Freshops a call, go right ahead. I might do the same. However, I would also check my scale before accusing them of shorting an order. I have had no problems with them at all, and yours is the first I've heard of.

TL

If you're using a scale to determine if you got what you paid for, I think its accuracy is extremely important. They would probably just send you an extra ounce if you complained though.

If you're really upset, you could submit your next order with Hops Direct, who quite frequently over-stuff their bags by several ounces. I ordered 3 1-lb bags which ended up weighing just under 5 lbs total.

Back