Freshops or Hopsdirect??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

beesy

Reaction score
Going to put in order tomorrow for about 5 lbs and wondering who has had good or bad experiences with Freshops or Hopsdirect? Not stocking up worried about hop issue, but LHBS hops are $4 and oz and i have several proven recipes that eat up 4-5 oz per batch and i know i will make 3-4 of them over the next 6-7 months.

CarlosM

Reaction score
Im chiming in for Hops Direct. Their shipping might be slower but I prefer their packaging over fresh hops. Nitrogen sealed mylar bag over a foodsaver bag.

Im sure quality is superior on both fronts, I just gotta show love for my HD people lol.

Chello

Reaction score
Hops Direct used to be notorious for giving you an extra half pound or so per variety, but with the shortage occurring i believe they "recalibrated their scales" so they say.

truckmann

Mann Cave Brewer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered from both and had no problems with either. My order from Freshops came very quickly. Based on other reports I was hoping to get the extra from Hops Direct, but as previously stated they must have made some adjustments because I only got about 2-3 extra ounces in each of the 1 pound packages I ordered.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've ordered from Hops Direct and have had great results with those hops.

Fresh Hops will get an order in the spring because of rhizomes.:ban::ban:

dasein668

Reaction score
I generally use Freshops because they sell by the ounce and I don't necessarily want a full pound of every hop. But I've also heard great things about HD. Freshops packaging does leave something to be desired. I always repack in foodsaver bags.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
I use HopsDirect because I use pellet, and I like full pounds of varieties.

I've never used FresHops because I don't usually use leaf. If leaf is your thing, cool.