Fresh yeast for bottle conditioning - amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmoron

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Quad that has failed to bottle carb after two months. It's evident at this point that the 10.5% ABV (OG 1.090 and FG 1.009) was enough to knock out the WLP500 before it could handle the carbonation.

So I need to reinoculate in the bottles, which I haven't done before though I have the tools to do so. The dextrose is already dissolved and unconsumed.

What is a good pitching rate for this? Should I stick to the same yeast or go for a higher alcohol tolerance? For the beer itself I went with about 1.5 million cells/ml/degree plato, due to the high gravity. Would I need to match that for the bottle? Would it be more? Less? I'm not sure what effect the presence of alcohol would have on the cell count needed.

I don't know what to tell you about adding yeast...What I DO KNOW is that MY 1.090 Belgian Strong took THREE MONTHS to carb, and came up beautifully.

It still tastes like rocket fuel 9 months later, but it is perfectly carbed...So I wouldn't count yours out for another month.

Rev,

I did the exact same thing two years ago. Same OG, same FG, and waited a year. It never happened. At the time, I didn't have the tools to redose the bottles, so I ended up dumping the half that i didn't drink flat. Given that my experience disagrees with yours, and that I have witnessed the yeast in this batch precipitate to the bottoms of the bottles where they now lay dormant, it is safe for me to assume that this batch will not carbonate by hoping that the yeast resurrect themselves and get back to work.

Now that we have gotten this obligatory response out of the way, does anyone have any actual input as to the questions posed?

Latest posts

Back