Fresh wort on yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerguy

Reaction score
Wow! I knew fermentation would start faster, but this was insane. I pulled out my APA after two weeks in the primary and dumped in my pumpkin ale wort. Put it into my fermentation chiller at 68 degrees. Checked on it 2.5 hours later and had 1.5 inches of krausen and airlock was going non-stop. Didn't think it would get started so fast. I have a feeling this is going to be a really fast fermentation...gonna have to watch the krausen and make sure it doesn't blow through the airlock. Haven't had problems since I have been able to stabilize temps with my Son of Fermentation Chiller.

Sometimes I use the yeast cake just for the fun of watching the wild fermentation. Wow, I am such a geek. :D

I have to admit, this was part of the reason I used the yeast cake. It was just Safale-05 so I could have bought another couples packages fresh for a few bucks when I got the ingredients. Sort of wanted to use a British ale strain, but the temptation to toss the wort on a big yeast cake (that just sounds kind of dirty) was too great. Figured it would ferment nice and clean and I can spice it up some more if I desire in secondary.

...time to go get the flashlight and watch the wort swirl around a bit before bed. :D

Wrongo...woke up this morning and the foam had blown through the airlock, was hoping it had calmed down since doing it...wrong again, blew through a new one in a few minutes. Had to fashion a horrible blow off tube out of both flex PVC, vinyl tubing, and packing tape. It is such a mess in my fermentor, just hope I don't get any contamination!

I'm guessing the pumpkin added some proteins that allowed all the yeast to make a ton of foam.

Back