Fresh Wort Kit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usastout

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing and just moved to Australia. The LHBS recommended a fresh wort kit to me to start...just add water, yeast and ferment. No cooking.

Anyone "brewing" this way in the US?

Although you can "make beer" that way, it's usually not very good.

Instead, look for extract brewing, where you boil part of the (unhopped) malt extract with hops of your choosing (usually an hour), add more hops toward the end of the boil, then add the remainder of the extract when you turn the heat source off. Chill, pour or rack into a fermentation vessel, top up with cold water to required volume, and add yeast. Keep at the low side of the temp range for the yeast for 2-3 weeks.

Extract brewing can be enhanced by using steeping grains and/or performing a partial mash.

Then there is all-grain brewing that doesn't use any extract, just malts and other grains, which is the most advanced method, and the way commercial breweries and many homebrewers brew beer.

Added 07-13-2016:
I'm not going to rescind what I wrote above, although at the time I was not familiar with those "fresh wort" kits. I had assumed they were some sort of hopped malt extract (HME), which has proven itself over the years not to be the route to good or even mediocre beers.

I'm fairly new to brewing and just moved to Australia. The LHBS recommended a fresh wort kit to me to start...just add water, yeast and ferment. No cooking.

Anyone "brewing" this way in the US?

I make soup this way, just open a can, heat a bit in the microwave and serve. I also make soup where I start with fresh meat and vegetables. Care to guess which one takes longer? How about which one tastes better?

Brewing beer can be similar. It isn't quite as easy to use unhopped malt extract and steeping grains and requires a pot to cook it in but the results can be better as you have more control over the ingredients. All grain requires a little more thought, more work, bigger pot, but the results can be astounding if you do it right.

I've helped a couple friends with BIAB, I'm somewhat familiar, and where I envision myself entering the hobby.

But while I'm waiting for my household goods to get over the Pacific, I could already have a FWK bottled and ready to go (yes, I'm itching to get started).

These comments are interesting because the LBHS owner first offered me a LME "kit" (don't think this qualifies as BIAB??), but after some conversation recommended the FWK due to the higher quality beer it would produce. He assured me the FWK would produce a better beer regardless of experience. It's worth mentioning, he can't keep the FWKs on the shelf. They are cooked locally and very fresh...he was out of stouts (my favorite).

To my original question--is it safe to assume this is not a very popular brewing method in the states?

So is he basically just making like a partial boil wort and selling it to people? If so that could actually make a decent beer if you don't have any of your housewares.

Imagine if someone made an AG wort, no-chilled it in a container then put a pricetag on it – voila, fresh wort kit!

Interesting idea - the closest thing I've seen in the US would be something like a wort giveaway from a local brewery or festival. Those can be fun, and certainly you can make good beer, though I don't really consider it a beer that I brewed when doing that. It would probably be a good way to learn about fermentation, sanitation, and packaging while waiting for your gear to arrive.

Imagine if someone made an AG wort, no-chilled it in a container then put a pricetag on it – voila, fresh wort kit!

Oh cool. If you really want to make up some beer, that'll work until you get your stuff. Should make good beer! Go for it

Interesting idea - the closest thing I've seen in the US would be something like a wort giveaway from a local brewery or festival. Those can be fun, and certainly you can make good beer, though I don't really consider it a beer that I brewed when doing that. It would probably be a good way to learn about fermentation, sanitation, and packaging while waiting for your gear to arrive.

Right. I've seen stuff like that where a LHBS makes wort and then gives it away to people who came or who want it (and then they go home, add the yeast, and ferment it), but I've never heard of any place selling "fresh-made wort."

I wouldn't consider that you making beer though. It's like, the shop owner brewed the beer and you fermented and bottled it. Some people compare extract brewing to making a cake with a box of cake mix (I personally don't see it that way, but I can see where they're coming from). If that's the case, this might be comparable to microwaving a frozen meal that someone else made for you.

You probably could get a pretty good beer out of it, but you didn't really "make" the beer. At least, not in my opinion.

I say go for it. It's a fast way to get some decent beer in the fridge.
It is also a great way to learn about fermentation, sanitation, and packaging like chickypad mentioned above.

My first attempt was a Festabrew kit. 23L of wort in a bag. You have to start somewhere.

The place I get my supplies sells these. They are a homebrew shop but also a commercial brewery, they announce in advance what day they are making the wort kits and what they are making. Then they make a commercial-sized batch of wort and sell it fresh in cube containers.

I wouldn't brew beer this way personally as brew day is the fun part for me. But it's AG beer made by professionals, should be pretty good if you don't screw up the fermentation and sanitation. Probably works out cheaper than buying equivalent beer in the shop and you don't need much gear or time to brew it.

Actually sounds like an interesting idea in all reality. Wished they had something like that when I first got into the hobby. This way you are just concentrating on two different things. Your yeast and controlling your fermentation. One could even split the batches with 2 different yeasts.

GO FOR IT!!!!

There's making beer and there's brewing beer.

Both result in drinking beer��.

You'll have alot more input when you brew your beer.

Good luck

I guess it all depends on how this fresh wort is brewed and what their recipe is.

If they give it a quick boil to pasteurize, right after mashing just the base grains, then chill and package it, you'll need to reboil it with the hops and any wort from your own steeping malts you'd want to add according to your recipe.

If their recipe includes adjunct and specialty malts and is boiled with hops you're kinda stuck with that. Not saying it can't be tweaked from there, but it might be more limited.

I wonder how different that is from what we have had for decades = pre-hopped extract.

This is a product that most new home brewers skip right past in favor of actual "brewing"

I wonder how different that is from what we have had for decades = pre-hopped extract.

This is a product that most new home brewers skip right past in favor of actual "brewing"

Similar but significantly different.
Pre-hopped extracts are finished (hopped) worts condensed into a thick syrup (HME), then canned. These are uncondensed finished worts, no need to dissolve, reheat or boil. Just add yeast of choice, and water if you want the recipe's target OG. They should be better tasting than HME.

Now calling these "fresh" worts is a bit of a fetch, who knows how long they've been sitting there cubed.

And neither are "brewing."

Similar but significantly different.
Pre-hopped extracts are finished (hopped) worts condensed into a thick syrup (HME), then canned. These are uncondensed finished worts, no need to dissolve, reheat or boil. Just add yeast of choice, and water if you want the recipe's target OG. They should be better tasting than HME.

Now calling these "fresh" worts is a bit of a fetch, who knows how long they've been sitting there cubed.

And neither are "brewing."

Different? I would say yes. Significantly different?, maybe. But if you add water to get to the target OG wouldn't it still be an extract. Just not as highly concentrated.

If I were just looking to get beer, maybe. But I bet it would be cheaper to just go buy some beer.

Different? I would say yes. Significantly different?, maybe. But if you add water to get to the target OG wouldn't it still be an extract. Just not as highly concentrated.

If I were just looking to get beer, maybe. But I bet it would be cheaper to just go buy some beer.

I wouldn't call those fresh wort kits "extract." They're regular wort brewed at around 20% higher gravity, again, likely to fit the packaging. I don't see anything wrong with that. Now condensing wort into a thick syrup (or dry powder) does alter something significantly as we all know, while hopped versions own the worst record.

AU$45 for a 19 liter (5 gallon) batch doesn't seem outrageously expensive, many ingredient kits here go for similar prices and they still need the works regarding to "brewing."

But since there's no control over the recipe in the fresh wort kits, except yeast and fermentation conditions, there's a limit to what kind of beer you'll get, for better or for worse.

Can one buy 2 cases of a similar variety of comparable quality commercial craft beer for AU$45-55? If the answer is yes, indeed, buy the beer!

These are like The Brewhouse kits (or Festa Brew, as someone mentioned).

This page has some suggested hacks to the kits, which you may be able to use. Of course, you could do something similar with a can of extract, but the fresh wort tastes better, supposedly (I brewed a couple and they were good).

http://grapestoglass.com/beer-kits/the-brew-house-recipes-and-hacks/

The Brewhouse kits are kept from spoiling by the pH. They give you a pH adjuster to fix it when you are ready to brew.

I wouldn't call those fresh wort kits "extract." They're regular wort brewed at around 20% higher gravity, again, likely to fit the packaging. I don't see anything wrong with that. Now condensing wort into a thick syrup (or dry powder) does alter something significantly as we all know, while hopped versions own the worst record.

AU$45 for a 19 liter (5 gallon) batch doesn't seem outrageously expensive, many ingredient kits here go for similar prices and they still need the works regarding to "brewing."

But since there's no control over the recipe in the fresh wort kits, except yeast and fermentation conditions, there's a limit to what kind of beer you'll get, for better or for worse.

Can one buy 2 cases of a similar variety of comparable quality commercial craft beer for AU$45-55? If the answer is yes, indeed, buy the beer!

Unfortunately, you can't! Cheap grog such as Vic Bitter (Mass macro like American Budweiser) is at best between $40-45 per slab (American case of 24 stubbies)... Comparatively, a slab of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is $82. Yep... we get taxed. LOADS

Severely taxed. I was told by local brewer, they pay 80-90% tax on a single bottle, 70-80% on a six pack, and 50-60% on a case...but look on the bright side, everyone has healthcare!--I digress

It's safe to say FWKs are a thing down under and fit a niche of "fermenters" that I'll soon be a part of. Of course I'll move on to actual brewing at some point, but you simply can't beat the price and quality of FWK in Australia.:mug:

Back