Fresh vs Frozen fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsierzega

Reaction score
Any input on fresh vs frozen fruit for secondaries? i.e cherries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.

I plan on brewing a Cherry Stout next weekend with 10 lbs. of frozen tart cherries in secondary. Can post back after that.

Just brewed the Stout yesterday and it at least smells amazing. I have read so much on frozen vs fresh and I have emailed quite a few farms in Northern Ohio and Michigan about fresh products. Right now all that seems to be in season are apples. That makes my decision easier and have found Frozen Tart Cherries at Gordon Food Services Marketplace close to home. $12.99/lb. isn't too bad. I will be racking on the cherries in 2ndary 2 Sundays from now after I am sure fermentation has completed. I will update progress each step of the way.

A Google search for this has turned up quite a bit of interesting reads. Frozen seems to have better benefits for sanitation purposes.

I did not sanitize the fruit since it was frozen. I just dumped them into secondary and racked on top of them. Didn't have any issue. BTW, this beer is still aging in the bottle as it is still a little too tart. Progression-wise, the tart has dropped off considerably and the stout is coming back into play. I plan on testing another bottle next month.

Back