Fresh Starsan mixture cloudy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
I made a fresh Starsan mixture (2.5 gal / ½ oz Starsan) and the mix is very cloudy. Is that normal? Last time I made a mix it was clear. I used the same tab water. The only difference is that I used hand warm water and the last time I used cold water.

Thanks!

I made a fresh Starsan mixture (2.5 gal / ½ oz Starsan) and the mix is very cloudy. Is that normal? Last time I made a mix it was clear. I used the same tab water. The only difference is that I used hand warm water and the last time I used cold water.

Thanks!

As long as the pH is sub 3, its fine; mine always turns cloudy in tap water. I don't keep mine longer than a couple of days because it starts to get viscous.
You're supposed to dilute it in cold water, FWIW; it takes longer to cloud if you do. If the cloudiness bugs you, use distilled.

Hot water tanks hold concentrations of minerals that precipitate from the water being heated. The cloudiness of your Starsan solution is a reaction with the minerals. Clear or cloudy, as long as the pH is below 3.2, the Starsan solution will be effective.

Back