Fresh / or dried hops = ??? pellets??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
A friend has fresh and dried cascade hops - if I need 2 oz of hops for a recipe - how much if his is the equivalent???

For bittering I use a little more whole than pellets maybe 20% more I dunno.

If I had a choice for flavor/aroma I'd choose whole hops over pellets if the whole hops are FRESH.

So you are saying one ounce of wet fresh hops is equal to 1 once of pallets?

I thought it was like a 5 to 1 ratio but . . that is why I'm asking.

You asked two questions. Fresh hops are 5:1, whole dried hops are around 1.1:1 vs pellets

Just a note- it really helps to be be specific in your question so someone can answer it accurately.

Depending on where you look, utilization from pellets can range anywhere from 10-25% over that of whole dry hops. I've always assumed 25%, but you can check that with brewing software- adjusting bittering amounts to hit your target IBUs. For flavor & aroma, even amounts between pellets and whole dry hops.

Unless you know for sure the AA% of the hops, they're better used for flavor and aroma anyway.

Actually I THOUGHT I was being specific but it was pre-coffee specific which has a much lower efficiency rating then post coffee - sorry

Back