Fresh hops usage conversion from pellets

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Germelli1

Reaction score
I have a few questions that searching either didn't clear up, or made the issue more confusing.

First off, I have stumbled across a goldmine for hops. A guy who no longer brews is giving me his 4th year casdaces plants that are ready to harvest. I am going to dig them up and transplant them. It is going to be a lot of work, but while I am doing that I am going to keep harvesting them. I want to use them in a simple recipe like EdWorts Haus Pale ale.

Now for the confusion. I know that the hops are mostly water so this brings two issues:

How much more should I use than the recipe calls for? I am planning on using about 5x more, is this correct?

Should I still use a hop bag during the boil? Or will the fresh hops not absorb as much wort?

In case you aren't familiar with the recipe, here is the hop schedule:
Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Also any recomendations on IPA recipes are encouraged!

samc

Reaction score
4x-5x is the oft quoted ratio for fresh to dried hops. However you really don't know the AA% and a lot of brewers go in-between the range of AA% that is quoted commercially.

If you have some commercial hops of the same variety with known numbers you can make a simple tea of a few hops and compare them by taste. Not super scientific but should ball park it for you.

cactusgarrett

Reaction score
You're touching on two things here - hops vs pellets (as your title suggests), and wet vs dry. I think the pellet-to-cone factor is +10%(weight) - as in when using cones, use 10% more. Additionally, if you were to use wet hops versus dry, tack on another 75-80%, as dried homegrown hops are 20-25% of their wet-weight.

Dumb question, but are you harvesting prior to or during transplanting?

OP
Germelli1

Germelli1

Reaction score
4x-5x is the oft quoted ratio for fresh to dried hops. However you really don't know the AA% and a lot of brewers go in-between the range of AA% that is quoted commercially.

If you have some commercial hops of the same variety with known numbers you can make a simple tea of a few hops and compare them by taste. Not super scientific but should ball park it for you.
Great idea, I forgot to ask him about AA values so if he cant tell me I will do your test.

You're touching on two things here - hops vs pellets (as your title suggests), and wet vs dry. I think the pellet-to-cone factor is +10%(weight) - as in when using cones, use 10% more. Additionally, if you were to use wet hops versus dry, tack on another 75-80%, as dried homegrown hops are 20-25% of their wet-weight.

Dumb question, but are you harvesting prior to or during transplanting?
Not a dumb question at all. You may find the answer dumb though. He wants the plants gone as soon as possible. The weeds/grass around them needs trimmed down with a hedge trimmer before I can locate the crown. So I plan to harvest as much as I can before I transplant, but there are so many cones that there is no way I will be able to get them all.

So my plan is to lightly harvest the cones, then place a tarp under the plant, cut down the rope the bines are gowing on, then use that rope from the top(with bines still attached to it) to pull the plants across the tarp.

At that point it should be easy to find the crown and save as much intact root/dirt as possible when I dig them up.

I am then going to loosely wrap the tarp containing the plants up and load it into my truck. When I get home I am going to bury the roots in the amended soil I made then remove them from the tarp to restring the line. I am hoping i can save some of the fallen cones in the tarp.

I know this is not the best way/time to transplant them, but like I said he (well his wife) wants them gone ASAP so I figure trying to save the plants is worth it.

Sorry for the novel!

cactusgarrett

Reaction score
Makes sense. You shouldn't get too many cones dropping off the bine in the transfer - it seems they stay on pretty well.

I'm thinking the main idea is to not expect any harvest AFTER you transplant, or at least do expect the bines to sustain what you leave on. I would expect the established bines to all but die off, actually, for various reasons (soil differences, shock, etc. - more experienced growers can chime in on this one, though). I would say harvest what you can now, even young cones, try the transplant and don't expect further crop this year. Another option is to harvest, cut the bines completely, then plant the in-tact crown. I suppose that's better than starting from rhizome clippings next spring.

Perhaps this thread might be best served if you asked a mod to transplant it to the "Hops Growing" sub-forum to get expert opinion, since it sounds like you're more worried about that aspect of all this and not the numbers for using the hops, as mentioned in my previous post.