Fresh Grapes vs. 6 gal. Bucket of Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
I just received a flier from our local grape provider here in MI for fresh juice from Chile for $80 per 6 gal. pail.

Can anyone offer up an opinion on juice purchased in buckets vs. buying the grapes themselves, crushing and pressing? I would like to start a Merlot or Pinot Noir and if this is a quality option, becoming available in May 2011, I would like to give it a shot. If it will be a lesser quality I can hold off.

The offer is for juice only, no grapes are available. I will wait for fall of 2011 rather than buying a fair juice.

All thoughts are appreciated.

I would think that making wine from pressed juice would be lighter in body/tannins (especially for a red) than starting from grapes where you ferment on the fruit (pulp, skins, etc.)

Got the same notice here in N.C. but it is going for 60.00 for a 6 gal pail. Thing is I do not like wine from Chile..seems too watered down for me. That being said my wine shop offers Calf. wine in pailes in the fall so will just wait for it....

I get Chilean, Italian and Calfornia juice all the time. Yes kinda thinner than grapes. I solve that by, adding some fresh grapes, adding raisins, or make bananna soup. Oaking will also help.
$80.00 seams high my pricing in NJ is $50.00

Do you guys just get these juices from the local brew house or what?? Anyone know anywhere down here in houston texas to get some chilean juice? I can't seam to find anything.

You can get Chilean juice buckets right now,but getting fresh grapes takes some real work. So if you are talking about starting a batch now I think juice pail;s is the only real choice

Fresh juice is a lot less work and I have had several Chilean juices and they are wonderful. You need a press to crush the grapes and it is a lot easier to use juice. It does takes a long time for it to finish, but it is worth the wait if you can spare the carboy.

Back