Fresh Ginger Root

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have this odd ale, golden ale with irish ale yeast that I made and I have this idea to add some ginger to the beer at kegging time.

I took 1.5 oz of fresh ginger root and I sliced it up thin. I have it soaking in maybe 3 oz of vodka. I plan on straining and adding the vodka after a few days.

Do you think this is a good idea?

10 gallon batch
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.68 %
2.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 13.51 %
1.00 lb CaraHell (13.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.20 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
2.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

I made a strawberry ginger kolsch over the summer that was awesome. I put 6oz. of fresh grated ginger in at flameout. Turned out really well. However it did have a bit of a "bite" from the ginger, which was nice because it wasn't hopped that much and added some good balance. I think next time a make a beer with ginger in it I'm going to try crystalized ginger for a smoother taste.

I am glad that it sounds like a great addition to my beer, but I am wondering about my teqnique. Will the soaking in alcohol work OK? I am assuming that it will, but if anybody has any opinions or experience about unfusing ginger flavor this way, I would sure appreciate it.

If it was me I would just add the ginger in the same way that you would if you were dry hopping. And I might even just blender-ize the ginger in a few ounces of boiled water instead of the vodka soak to get maximum flavor without any vodka strangeness. I usually add my blender-ized ginger in the last 5 minutes of the boil for my ginger wit's and it provides lots of ginger flavor...

I've added ginger to beers with much success, but I really don't think the alcohol is a good plan, that's something I really only do for oak chips and stuff.

I've added fresh ginger 10min before flameout as well as at flameout. I've also used powdered ginger in that 10min-0min timeframe as well. All have worked very well for me.

I added the tincture of ginger to the primary after cold crash and gelatin. I actually tasted it and the ginger taste was excellent, very spicy. It should be a great addition.

Latest posts

Back