Fresh Ginger for Beer Making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
Hello All,

Can someone kindly advise about the use of fresh ginger root for beer making? -Amount
-When to added
-Any other do and don'ts.

Thanks, Nil :mug:

I have found that the best time to add ginger is in the last 10 minutes of the boil, too early and you boil off all the flavour. I have tried using thin slices and grated ginger and find that grating works best for me. As for how much to add, that depends on your recipe as well as how much ginger taste you want, but I find that 4 oz grated at 10 minutes to flameout gives me a pronounced ginger taste in 5 gal. of a pale ale.

I found that a mere 2 teaspoons (!) fresh finely-chopped at flameout gave a very strong ginger taste to my 5-gal pumpkin beer last year. Would not do again, unless I was intentionally making a ginger beer. Sam Adams had a ginger beer out at the time that had an equivalent strength of ginger.

I use half an ounce in my wit and it's definitely noticeable. I use a micro plane zester and drop it in at flame out. You won't find any consistent info out there. I read a ton of threads before using it and the amount ranges from .5 oz to 10+ oz. I started at 1oz and scaled back. It also depends on the other flavors that might be competing. Wits are pretty delicate, so...

I used 7 oz in the boil at 30 and another 5 in the secondary and it turned out awesome. This was 4.1 abc using extract though.

Back