Fresh cider...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I am planning my third batch of cider. I have done the last 2 as 1 gallon bought apple juice. Now I am going with 5 gal local orchard apple juice that has been pressed then ran through UV.

I have 2 packs of safcider one is expired and one is still good. Plan on using the good one, but could I just pitch the expired one as well or just through the expired one in the trash?

I plan on taking a gravity reading before adding sugar ( if any at all)

With it being fresh, would it be advisable to add pectine?

Should I add Nutrients.

I do have the stuff from making a batch of strawberry wine and a few batches of mead ( BOMM).

The biggest question, how long will it keep? I want to say the last batch I made I left it alone for about 4 months before drinking. But it was only 1 gal. 5 gal will take me some time to drink. For instance, I make the cider in October 2019, open the first in October 2020, finish the last one in July 2021. Kind of thing. Packaging will be 12 oz beer bottles capped.

I’m still in the experimental processs of trying to figure out what I want on hand between mead, wine, beer and ciders. And how much I need to make at what times.

Thanks in advance

Pitch them both. If it's still viable you get a kick@$$ starter. If not you get the hulls as a nutrient base. Best case scenario you get a result somewhere in between.

If you have the patience (and space) to keep it on hand until 2021, good on ya. Cider is more like wine than beer. Store it right and it will improve with age. I've made a few batches that were mediocre when young but after a few months really improved. Some of the best ciders I've had barrel age for a year then bottle condition for another.

Pectic enzyme well before you pitch may help to provide a clearer end-result with fresh pressed juice but a lot more depends on the yeast. If I'm pressing my own apples then I will toss on some PE after they crush but before they press.

Sugar vs no sugar is more about personal preference and the resulting ABV you're trying to achieve.

Everyone has different opinions. Here are mine. :)
I plan on taking a gravity reading before adding sugar ( if any at all)
Only add sugar if you just want to get drunk and don't care about flavor.
I have 2 packs of safcider one is expired and one is still good. Plan on using the good one, but could I just pitch the expired one as well or just through the expired one in the trash?
I would throw away the expired package but either way is fine. I prefer to use healthy yeast.
With it being fresh, would it be advisable to add pectine?
Pectinase reduces haze, but there's a possibility of negative flavor impact.
If you want good clarity quickly, I'd suggest to add pectinase at the rate your product suggests 12h before fermentation, and also add 3g/gal of bentonite after fermentation begins.
Personally I don't care about haze; that's just how it is naturally. It settles with age.
Should I add Nutrients.
Adding nutrients helps prevent the production of hydrogen sulfite, which is definitely a pain in the ass when it forms. It also prevents other fermentation-related off flavors.
However, nutrients will also speed up fermentation, generating more heat, which causes you to lose more apple flavor if you don't have good active temperature control. Ferment at the lower end of the yeast's range for best results.
The biggest question, how long will it keep?
That depends entirely on your process.
If you clarify it and bottle it still with adequate sufite and natural corks, it will keep up to 20 years, outliving all of us.
If you bottle carbonate with just the clean yeast, you start to get autolysis flavors after about a year in my experience. If you use Brett, it will keep indefinitely, especially if you don't mind that it forms a little acetic acid tang over the years.

Latest posts

Back