Freezing wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_Roqk

Reaction score
Has anyone ever just made wort, froze it, and thawed it out for later use? If so how long would it keep and how well did it do when used in recipes?

I had some extra wort from extra sparge run-off. I boiled it down to ~1.040, bottled it, refrigerated for a month or so, and recently used it for a starter. Worked well. You could easily freeze it, just don't bottle it first:cross:

What if one aims to use it at a later time, I shall explain my reasoning in short I currently have a mead that I started with a malta goya starter and a I also added some malta goya in the mixture I used to add nutrients citrus and ginger notes which I was boiling the whole time and using to rinse the bottles of honey after I'd poured the majority of the honey into the carboy this was to add nutrients and a very small amount of flavor, my plan is when I rack thesis mead to turn it into something near braggot I am already going to add a frozen mixture I have made of lemon juice kumquat a little basil and some additional honey and some frozen dark sweet cherries these two all together will only be enough to replace what is left as dregs in my primary , I am thinking I'd like to brew up a wort boil it down a good bit freeze it until the transfer time and thaw it and the other two parts that I'm going to be adding in some boiling water which I would of course add to my secondary moments prior to beginning the transfer of the mead on top this mix like literally it'd be the amount of a starter I may go up to two gallons of it including the fruits and all and put some of the mead into a separate smaller secondary because I figure my mead should be quite nice tasting anyways with some age but I am thinking turn this into a citrus cherry braggot which sounds very nice , so would I be a lot better off making this small batch of wort up fresh right before I start the transfer or can I go ahead and brew the wort freeze it and just heat it up again ( I figure since it won't be the primary constituent it probably wouldn't hurt for me to boil it down to a high gravity then add water and boil it again to thaw and mix it to a lower gravity for this secondary addition ,

Back