Freezing Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltnHops

Reaction score
I'll be buying a 50# sack of grains soon (SWMBO just bought me a Barley Crusher), and I was wondering if I should freeze or refrigerate the grains to keep them fresher longer. The grain will be unmilled until brewing time.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

I was told no way Jose. They should keep for a long ass time in a bucket or whatever. Unless you brew like once a year should be all good. Or as long as its not crushed anyway.

I usually freeze grains for three days. This is supposed to kill any insect/eggs in the grain. Then store in an airtight container and you should be fine. I wouldn't store frozen. 50# of grain will take up lots of space in the freezer.

L

I usually freeze grains for three days. This is supposed to kill any insect/eggs in the grain. Then store in an airtight container and you should be fine. I wouldn't store frozen. 50# of grain will take up lots of space in the freezer.

L

I've read about this but never done it.

Back