Freezing cherry concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
I love tart cherry. Problem is, in MN, not so easy to come by. Trying to figure out a way to get them back from summer vacation in MI hasn't been worked out yet. Imagine my glee when a couple weeks ago I discovered Coloma 100% tart cherry concentrate at my local grocery store! I used some of it to prime a batch of Belgian Dubbel (that I might have screwed up - we shall see) but have quite a bit left. At $20/qt, I don't really want to send this stuff down the drain. Any harm in freezing it in smaller chunks until I'm ready to add it to my next Quad or sour?

Update: I put it in the freezer a week ago, so I don't know about quality, but it won't freeze, not even in my deep freezer. Is the sugar too high? It's still pretty squishy. Maybe I should have put it outside this week - was probably 20 degrees colder than my deep freezer at one point!

Update: I put it in the freezer a week ago, so I don't know about quality, but it won't freeze, not even in my deep freezer. Is the sugar too high? It's still pretty squishy. Maybe I should have put it outside this week - was probably 20 degrees colder than my deep freezer at one point!
Aren't the ingredients listed? I guess it contains a lot of sugar.

For example, 2:1 simple syrup freezes at ~12F. My side by side freezer is set to 4F, and 2:1 simple syrup is solid, cannot be scooped.

That said, at those temps, nothing is going to happen to your cherry slush, as long as it is in a sealed container. Will be ready for your next use. Just sanitize the outside and the rim/threads after removing the lid.

Per King Orchards: "Cherry juice concentrate should be refrigerated upon arrival. You can store it for 6 months in the refrigerator or 12 months in the freezer. King Orchards cherry juice concentrate is concentrated to 68 brix; It won’t freeze solid or expand in the freezer."

Per King Orchards: "Cherry juice concentrate should be refrigerated upon arrival. You can store it for 6 months in the refrigerator or 12 months in the freezer. King Orchards cherry juice concentrate is concentrated to 68 brix; It won’t freeze solid or expand in the freezer."

Well, there ya go. Thanks!

Back