Freezer or Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I can't decide whether to get a freezer or a fridge to do my fermenting in. On one hand freezers are typically cheaper/cubic foot, but with a fridge I can use it as an actual fridge down the road when I'm not fermenting. What are the +/-'s of each? Which do you guys prefer?

I like a fridge because there's less modifications to make. But in the end I'd go for whatever is the least expensive.

I also like a fridge because like you said other uses. Plus with a fridge you have a freezer unit for storing hops, wort ect.

Check out craig's list, freecycle or Ebay for free or cheap fridges or freezers.

I have a fridge (a big dorm fridge) for lagering, only because it was free. If I were buying, I'd get a freezer. Trust me, you will ALWAYS have something in it, you won't be using it as a regular fridge or freezer. You'll either be lagering, or you'll be using it to keep temps in the mid-60°s for your ales, or cold-conditioning something... it'll never *not* have at least one carboy in it... ;)

I'm actually thinking about replacing my little dorm fridge, I just know that it's MUCH less efficient than a chest freezer (it seems to run constantly).

A freezer with temp controller can be a fridge when not lagering. It work great as a kegerator and if no longer used for beer :eek: chest freezers are always useful for storing food.
In addition a chest freezer is a much more efficient cooling unit because the insulation is much more effective.

Craig

Back