freezer or fridge???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabeefrantz

Reaction score
I have the choice of either converting a freezer or a small fullsize fridge into my new dispensing rig what are the pros and cons of each. which one to choose? thanks jason

I've had both. Started with a fridge and went to the freezer.

Freezer is preferred in my opinion. Easier to access the kegs, connect lines, etc...

My refrigerator was jam packed, my keezer has room for 4 kegs plus a bunch of bottled beer.

I have four fridges and three freezer. I prefer the freezer by far. IMO they have more usable space and they seem to operate more efficiently. More versatility with the freezers. I would not have any refrigerators if they weren't acquired at no cost.

Freezers:
1. Can holds many kegs/bottles
2. Freezers are meant to be constantly running at very low temps...using an external temperature control unit to shut off the freezer and turn it on is very hard on the compressor and shortens its life span.
3. Good on-line sources for kegerator conversions
4. Relatively cheap for a brand new unit
5. Short, compact units

Fridge:
1. Fridge easily holds temps that are more in line for the homebrewer
2. Easy to find used units...I found a 2 year old full sized fridge for $150.
3. Large, takes up more vertical space
4. The bottom shelf area is sometimes smaller depending on the unit and can hold only a few kegs and CO2 bottle
5. Can use the freezer part of the fridge to store beer glasses or supplies
6. I was able to keep the top shelf in and use it to store hops and yeast packages.

That's a short list...

Ive had both, and one of the problem with the freezer chest, is they are not designed to deal with condensation so they tend to develop moisture problems if you don't take steps to keep them dry, but its true you can put lots of stuff in them.

Freezers:
1. Can holds many kegs/bottles
2. Freezers are meant to be constantly running at very low temps...using an external temperature control unit to shut off the freezer and turn it on is very hard on the compressor and shortens its life span.
3. Good on-line sources for kegerator conversions
4. Relatively cheap for a brand new unit
5. Short, compact units.

I disagree with No. 2 above. Freezers do not run constantly when used as freezers. They run intermittently just like a refrigerator does. Operating at warmer temperatures won't shorten it's life span at all. The compressor will run less often and for shorter durations which will actually lengthen it's life span. It's not working as hard as it would if it had to maintain very cold temperatures. You do want to avoid setting the controller differential too tight though. That could cause longevity problems.

I've had both. Started with a fridge and went to the freezer.

Freezer is preferred in my opinion. Easier to access the kegs, connect lines, etc...

+1

And the freezer longevity BS is BS. There is no difference between the technology used in a freezer and a fridge.

Freezer, more space efficient. I have not owned a keg fridge, but they look like a pain as far as manuevering kegs. In my freezer, when a keg is empty I just pull it straight out and put the next in. With a fridge...say the back keg got empty, you have to move all of them out to get to it...

Just feels like everything is more accessible in the freezer. And I think they are generally cheaper. I put mugs and beer ingredients in my food fridge, but I don't have a SWMBO lol so I guess that could change in the future.

few years ago I had a fridge and it was a pain to switch kegs in and out. Would not go back after having a freezer

A fridge will not require a temp contoller to get started kegging and might be a bit easier / cheaper for a newb. A keezer has other advantages listed above. I would get started w/ a simple set up using picnic taps to get experience, then expand to suit your needs.

I started with the old fridge that was in my garage when i bought the house. I was only able to fit 2 kegs because of the way the unit was designed, and it had ALOT of dead space. I have a huge fridge/freezer in the house, so this one was empty other than some bottles and glasses with the kegs.
The fridge was running CONSTANTLY and I saw a spike in my energy bill (running it in a 100deg garage)

I soon after bought a chest freezer, which holds more kegs, and has room on the hump for my tank and some frosty glasses. I almost never see the chest freezer running when i walk past, and my energy bill returned to normal.

I use picnic taps, so i also think that pouring from the fridge let ALOT more of the cool air out whenever i filled a glass (cold air sinks)

The only way I would use a fridge, is if it was a minifridge with a draft tower, that would be in my house (which i don't have room for)

I have four fridges and three freezer. I prefer the freezer by far. IMO they have more usable space and they seem to operate more efficiently. More versatility with the freezers. I would not have any refrigerators if they weren't acquired at no cost.

Man, it's a good thing you don't live on Long Island. I can't imagine paying the electric bill for all those keezers and beer fridges as we have the highest utility costs in the nation.

I disagree with No. 2 above. Freezers do not run constantly when used as freezers. They run intermittently just like a refrigerator does. Operating at warmer temperatures won't shorten it's life span at all. The compressor will run less often and for shorter durations which will actually lengthen it's life span. It's not working as hard as it would if it had to maintain very cold temperatures. You do want to avoid setting the controller differential too tight though. That could cause longevity problems.

A good friend of mine repairs cooling units for Johnson Controls...here is his take on the subject...'Using a freezer as a kegerator is forcing it to operate outside it's temperature range. The constant starting and stopping will cause wear at the start components and compressor, therefore shorten it's life span. By how long? Run it and then we'll know.'

It's a popular conversion...and they have many advantages. I guess time will tell. I have two fridges that are from the early 70's and they still work great.

I'm all about the R & D of various weird stuff used outside of it's intended use...heck, that's the beauty of these hobbies.

A good friend of mine repairs cooling units for Johnson Controls...here is his take on the subject...'Using a freezer as a kegerator is forcing it to operate outside it's temperature range. The constant starting and stopping will cause wear at the start components and compressor, therefore shorten it's life span. By how long? Run it and then we'll know.'

It's a popular conversion...and they have many advantages. I guess time will tell. I have two fridges that are from the early 70's and they still work great.

I'm all about the R & D of various weird stuff used outside of it's intended use...heck, that's the beauty of these hobbies.

I still think that's BS. The freezer's don't cycle more, they cylcle less when used as we typically use them. There is no constant starting and stopping. Mine only kicks in about once an hour at most and that's when the ambient temps are fairly high. I've used the same freezer for its intended purpose and it cycled much more than that. The way we use them for beer, they are not working anywhere near as hard.

FWIW, I have a small commercial freezer that is 42 years old and it's still operating perfectly. I do worry that it can't go on like that forever, but so far, so good.

Man, it's a good thing you don't live on Long Island. I can't imagine paying the electric bill for all those keezers and beer fridges as we have the highest utility costs in the nation.

I used to live in San Diego, so I'm familiar with high electric rates. Fortunately, in that climate, you don't need AC and the refers don't have to work very hard to combat high ambient temps. It's like an air conditioned city! Wish I was still living there.

Currently and unfortunately, I'm living in Ohio. On the positive side, the refers don't work very hard as most of them are only holding the temps down to the low 60's. The exceptions are my two lagering freezers and the serving freezer. Those do run a lot more, but in my mind, it's worth it. The single most beneficial thing you can do to improve your beer is control fermentation/lagering temperatures. That is, assuming you have your brewing process under control.

I know it's not too cool to toot your own horn, but I brewed up a Classic American Pilsner back in December of '08 and entered it in the NHC and four other major competitions. It won a first in the NHC first round and placed a second in the final round. This same beer from the same batch also won a BOS, two more gold medals, one silver and one bronze. I think that may say something about good temperature control. That's not easy to do with a Pilsner. I'm still high from it all.

Back