Freezer Management

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I have a quandry with my freezer -- I am going to share where I am at and maybe you all can help me troubleshoot this.

I have one freezer. I have 5 gallons of lager in my primary at 52 degrees. In two weeks I will remove for a diacetyl rest, then keg and store in the freezer at cooler temps (35F?) for upwards of 6 weeks.

I would love to use the freezer for another beer -- either in primary or secondary fermentation. Is that possible? Are there beers that I can ferment at room temperature and then put in the freezer at the same temp as my keg?

And if I am making some bad assumptions here please let me know, I am new at this.

Depending on exactly what "room temperature" is for you, chances are you can ferment pretty much any ale you like at that temp - it's only the lagers that need to ferment cold.

One other thing - 35 is a good temp to lager at, but it seems that 40-ish is a little more common. Hopefully someone more knoledgeable than me can speak up here, but I think that might be a reasonable temp to cold crash certain ales too.

Yeah, my concern is really with the the cold lagering. 35F is fine, it just takes longer.

Any other takers? Are there beer styles out there that will ferment at "room temperature" and lager at 35/40ish?

Back