Freezer Conversion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boodyrischous

Reaction score
I might be getting one just like this for a very cheap price. I am looking to convert it the same way people do with mini fridges (into a larger compartment). Any idea if this would work for a cabinet (well-insulated) sized about 6' x 4' x 4'? Any idea whether it would be possible to cut off the top and one side (so as to fully integrate into the cabinet structure)? Thanks for any and all help and suggestions.

Kenmore 5.0 cu. ft. Upright Freezer - 28502 at Sears.com

-I know a chest freezer is a good option, but I need to build a nice looking cabinet to go in a main living area, as we do not currently have a spot for a chest freezer.

I don't see why it would not work. However, you must be very, very sure of where the coolant lines are. In some minifridges it runs across the top and many a brewer have drilled through it. This will leave you with an expensive and ugly end table.

Yeah, I am working on getting the layout of the lines. We'll see if I even end up with one. but it seems like the best way to build the cabinet I am looking for is with one of these.

Indeed, however the unit I am looking at is a small upright freezer.

I don't know much (or anything really) about cutting into units like this, but if I got a chest freezer I would want to keep it whole. The input is appreciated. :)

If you're going to chop something up I think it would be easier and cheaper to get a used fridge, it's not like your warranty will be any good once you get the knife out.
craigslist.

This item would be from craigslist (thus at a very cheap price). I just figured a freezer would work better than a fridge for keeping kegs at the proper temperature. However, i contacted the manufacturer and they claimed that coolant lines run throughout and so no cutting should be done (they have to say that, I'm pretty sure). I'll figure something out. Thanks.

You gotta watch out on those upright freezers. I have one (used as a freezer) and you cannot remove the shelves. They have built-in coils on some of the shelves. Perhaps they could be bent out of the way?

Good point. My other option is a portable a/c unit that I can get on the cheap. Anyone know if 9000 btu would be enough (with a temp controller) to get a well-insulated cabinet down to 35 or so degrees?

You gotta watch out on those upright freezers. I have one (used as a freezer) and you cannot remove the shelves. They have built-in coils on some of the shelves. Perhaps they could be bent out of the way?

Look for the term 'frost free' This means the coils are not in the shelves.

Back