Freezer Cleanup IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyoldguy366

Reaction score
My misc. hops sack was getting large in the freezer so I'm making an IPA trying to utilize what I have to work with. The following will use up all of the hops that I have in the freezer.

Here's what I've come up with:
9 Lbs 2 Row
1 Lb Victory Malt
1 Lb Vienna Malt
1 Lb Caramel 40l
This is the grain bill I purchased to go with my misc. hop sack.

Hop schedule:
60 mins .75 oz Columbus, .25 oz Warrior. 0.09 oz 7 C's Blend
20 mins .50 oz Amarillo, .50 oz Columbus
7 mins .25 oz Centennial Type, 1.00 oz Chinook

Yeast: Nottingham Dry Yeast

Dry hop:
I have .42 oz of US Saaz, .50 oz Tettnang, and 1.0 oz (Sealed package) German Tradition.... Thought I might just toss them all in when I keg.

Beersmith says I should get 55.3 IBU's. My calculations assume 6 months loss using the degradation values Beersmith provides though some hops are fresher and some are probably up to a year old.

If my mash has a little oomph left after the IPA, I hope to add some corn and re-mash for a 2-3 gallon lager that will get hit with .20 oz of Kent Goldings. (did this with another IPA using a can of creamed corn and I was impressed with the results - will probably use flaked maize and increase the amount this time)

Anybody want to critique my hop schedule? Is this many varieties going to make for a "cluttered" beer?
Will the noble type hops work for dry hopping, or should I try to work them in the boil somehow?
Too late to change it now, but how's my grain bill look?
Is this beer going to taste stale because I'm using old hops? Most of them aren't all that pungent, but none smell bad or anything.

Thanks y'all!

Beersmith says I should get 55.3 IBU's. My calculations assume 6 months loss using the degradation values Beersmith provides though some hops are fresher and some are probably up to a year old.

Anybody want to critique my hop schedule? Is this many varieties going to make for a "cluttered" beer?
Will the noble type hops work for dry hopping, or should I try to work them in the boil somehow?
Too late to change it now, but how's my grain bill look?
Is this beer going to taste stale because I'm using old hops? Most of them aren't all that pungent, but none smell bad or anything.

Thanks y'all!

You probably won't "lose" the IBUs that Beersmith calculates, as you probably kept the hops in the freezer. I recently used some 2007 pellets that were kept vacuum sealed in my freezer, and had no notable drop in IBUs.

I'd probably increase the late hops, at 5-0 minutes, and consider leaving out the noble hops for dryhopping. I'd probably use them for bittering and then save some of the columbus from the bittering for the end or for dryhopping. Noble hops are great, but not going to be really noticeable over the US hops at 7 minutes.

The hops flavor will be fine if the hops don't smell stale or "cheesy".
The grainbill looks good!

Well they aren't vacuum sealed, but they have been in the freezer. The little plastic bags they came in were rolled up tightly and placed in a large zip-loc. The bag was opened every so often when I had extra hops from a brew.

If I end up with more bitterness than Beersmith tells me, I don't think I'll be sad. Most were adjusted at 20% loss and just a few were at 40%.

They don't have a ton of aroma, but I think this might be because they are so cold, no? I'll double check for cheesy smell on brewday.

Here's my revised hop schedule:
60 Mins .09 oz 7c's Blend, .42 oz US Saaz, 1.00 oz German Tradition, .5 oz Tettnang
20 mins .50 oz Amarillo, .50 oz Columbus
5 mins .25 oz Centennial, 1.00 oz Chinook

Dry Hop: .75 oz Columbus, .25 oz Warrior

IBU - 54.8

I see what you mean about moving some hops to later in the boil. Any more improvements you might suggest?

Thanks!

I picked up 2 oz of Citra today. Thought about using some for dry hopping this and maybe some late in the boil.

Suggestions?

Back