Freezer clean out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fast35

Reaction score
I'm cleaning out my freezer and trying to come up with an all-grain APA/IPA recipe to get rid of these older hops. They've been vacuum sealed and stored in the freezer since I bought them in bulk 2 years ago..

I just upgraded to electric brewing rigs with cooler MLT and need to get a few basic brews out of the way. I've done several AG brews with the MLT, and have the process down pretty well. I love IPAs, but just don't have enough experience to know what to add, and when.

Anyways, here's what I have:

Summit
Cascade
Centennial (oldest)
Chinook

Any help with a hop schedule for these would be greatly appreciated!

All of those are hops that work well in an APA or an IPA. It's hard to give a hop schedule without knowing gravity of your beer or Alpha Acids of the hops, but I'll give you my general schedule for both. I'm going to go backwards from last additions to first.

IPA:
At least 2 ounces dry hop
At least 2 ounces flameout addition (aroma)
At least 1 ounce @ 15 minute addition (flavor)
Whatever is necessary @ 60 minutes (bitterness)

You'll need to use some software to figure out the 60 minute addition. So, if you add lots of high AA Summit for those flameout & 15 min. additions, you'll use less at 60; if you use lots of Cascade, you'll use more. I aim for 65-70 IBUs for most of my IPAs. If you use more than 2 oz at flameout or more than 1 oz at 15, again, you'll use less at 60 minutes.

Same goes for APA. My minimums are:

1 oz dryhop
1 oz @ flameout
.75 oz @ 15 min
Whatever is needed to get to at least 35 IBU (I usually aim for 45 IBU)

For both of these I often go with more hops than these minimums, but even at these levels you'll get a decent representation of styles.

That looks like a fine IPA recipe. I like my IPAs with lots of hop character, so I might use a little more at flameout, but I'm sure this would also be good just as it is.

As a follow up to this thread, here's a little follow-up with the recipe I actually made.

13 lbs pale 2 row
12 oz crystal 20
8 oz crystal 40
2 oz chinook 60 min
1 oz centennial 15 min
1.5 oz Cascade 5 min
0.5 oz Citra 5 min
1.5 oz Cascade flameout
1.5 oz Chinook dry hop 7 days
1 oz Citra dry hop 7 days
1.25 oz Cascade dry hop 7 days

Used Denny's favorite 1450 yeast. The hops additions are odd numbers due to the age of the hops and my best guesstimate on their remaining AA.

It turned out ok, nothing special by any means. But, we did kill the keg within a month, so I guess it wasn't that terrible! It seemed a little "grassy" to me, which I think was due to some of the hops being pretty old. I don't think I'll brew it again, but I may try some variety of it again once I get some things figured out. If nothing else, I made some decent beer from some questionable old hops!

As a side note, I think the centennial may have been funky somehow. I made a bell's 2 hearted clone (all centennial) with these hops when they were new and that turned out kind of funky as well. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what, but I pitched the rests of them and got a new pound for the future.

Back