Freeze processed apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blou04

Reaction score
Hi,last time i tried to make cider, i decided to freeze/thaw them (i don't have a grinder nor the skills to make one). But, the thawing was more time consuming than planned.I added a small volume of boiling water and put the pot on very low heat ( i didn't want to cook the apples).

What is the fastest/more efficient/easiest way of thawing a large quantity of fruit ( over 20 lbs).

With thanks for the replies and apologies for English isn't my native language.

I put the frozen apples in big (giant!) mesh bags designed for winemaking, and put them in a sanitized fermenter bucket. Then, as they thaw, I smash them with a sanitized wood paddle.

I freeze fruit in 1 gallon or 2 gallon ziploc bags. The bags are large enough to make it worthwhile, but small enough to be easily handled. Since they're water-tight, you can put them in a bathtub (or sink) of warm/hot water to thaw; just turn them over every so often while thawing to thaw evenly, or weigh them down for total submersion. After thawing I do the same as Yooper does.
Regards, GF.

Back