Free, Safe, Effective Malware removal...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? MalwareBytes trial ran out, and stuff like Spyhunter appear to have hidden fees.

Any advice?

Edit: In case it helps looks like I caught a case of "dealingapp"

Is there such a thing? MalwareBytes trial ran out, and stuff like Spyhunter appear to have hidden fees.

Any advice?

Malwarebytes premium is a trial basis, but they do have a free version.

Between Malwarebytes and MSE/Defender I've never had an issue.

Malwarebytes free is by far the best free program.

I use that in conjunction with AVG free and have never had an issue I couldn't scan/click away.

Get a Mac... Problem solved.

jk, not to start a debate or anything, but Ive owned only two macs in 10 years. Neither have ever had malware or popup issues ever. I actually had to get rid of my first laptop bc Apple quit supporting the OS and everything was becoming incompatible.

Thought I would see what the free MalwareBytes was about. The software supposedly found 28 items on my computer. It is not free though. The software would clean one item, but you needed to buy it to finish cleaning it.

I uninstalled the software, but now am getting pop ups warning me of infection from MalwareBytes. How so I clean the obnoxious and insidious MalwareBytes from my computer?

Thought I would see what the free MalwareBytes was about. The software supposedly found 28 items on my computer. It is not free though. The software would clean one item, but you needed to buy it to finish cleaning it.

I uninstalled the software, but now am getting pop ups warning me of infection from MalwareBytes. How so I clean the obnoxious and insidious MalwareBytes from my computer?

That's odd. I've been running that one for a long time, never any issue, 100% free without ads. I think the pay version stays resident and continually scans for problems, I don't have that.

So you currently have something on your system?

I find the most effective removal is to run a boot disk AV. I use the one by Avira which can be downloaded here
http://www.avira.com/en/downloads click on 'Utilities' then download 'Avira Rescue System' and burn to a CD.

Boot to the CD, set it to rename infected files, and run the scan. When done boot machine (not connected to the internet) and do a file search for *.xxx and see how bad it is. If things are working properly now, run a scan with your normal AV. You should be okay to go now.

If you continue to have problems backing up files to external storage and then performing an OS reinstall is the best bet.

For day to day AV i just run the Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems to be lighter on system resources than a lot of the others.

Also, Make sure you only have one (1) antivirus program installed at a time. Having more than 1 does not double your protection and can make things worse.

That is odd. You got it from Malwarebytes directly?

I think the pay version stays resident and continually scans for problems, I don't have that.

The premium does stay resident. Also automatically updates, and has rootkit detector.

When you download software, free or not, please make sure you are getting it from the actual site, and not some repackaged downloader site Google may hand to you. The repackaged ones often come with extra payloads...

AFAIK, the MWB free version only runs and scans on demand, and will not prevent infection. You will need an antivirus program that runs in the background all the time to ward off bad sites and malware before they can embed themselves.

When you download software, free or not, please make sure you are getting it from the actual site, and not some repackaged downloader site Google may hand to you. The repackaged ones often come with extra payloads...

This. I am wondering if he got it from CNET or something like that.

Just an FYI.

If you ever have an issue running a scan because the virus is screwing with the scanner, I found that a program called "RKill" is great. It basically shuts down any known viruses/malware so that a scan can run and detect it. As long as you download the most current version of RKill it's worked excellent in every case I tried. It also has a log that pops up at the end and tells you everything it has found. Runs super quick! And totally free

Just an FYI.

If you ever have an issue running a scan because the virus is screwing with the scanner, I found that a program called "RKill" is great. It basically shuts down any known viruses/malware so that a scan can run and detect it. As long as you download the most current version of RKill it's worked excellent in every case I tried. It also has a log that pops up at the end and tells you everything it has found. Runs super quick! And totally free

aka Root kit. They install and load into memory before the AV loads into memory and thus are difficult to remove. Applications like RKill, or other rootkit utilities work by being the first thing loaded after boot.

There are lots of good, free software out there. I use whatever is necessary to clean the system, but generally a combination of Malwarebytes FREE, and either AVG or Avast (I prefer to use Avast) plus CCleaner during the cleanup will do the job. I usually do a few manual checks and deletes and sometimes a safe boot or Live CD boot will be necessary to avoid the processes that block the cleanup tools.

For everyday protection I normally use just Avast and Malwarebytes, plus Adblocker Plus extensions to my browsers. And Malwarebytes is the FREE version, meaning it doesn't stay resident in memory scanning stuff while I'm using the computer. I have to run it when I want to do a check.

IF you can manage to avoid clicking the wrong pop ups, or opening the wrong emails, this should be good. Adblocker speeds up the surfing and does a LOT to keep those dangerous items from coming up to get clicked.

If you post the specific problem we might be able to give you advice on what steps to take to remove it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: When installing ANY software, be VERY careful to watch for other programs which might be included in the install. For example, a LOT of free, useful, legitimate software comes packaged with other things that you will want to opt out of during the install. Take your time and be sure that what you are clicking on is the correct option.

Worst case scenario, I highly recommend asking a nice computer guy to remote in and help out. Taking your computer to a Geek Squad or similar is the same as putting the install disc in your computer and formatting it. Except they will charge you $100! A trustworthy stranger might charge $40 or so and save your files if it needs to be formatted. Lots of them will do it for free if it's not too much work and they are friends or relatives.

Get a Mac... Problem solved.

jk, not to start a debate or anything, but Ive owned only two macs in 10 years. Neither have ever had malware or popup issues ever. I actually had to get rid of my first laptop bc Apple quit supporting the OS and everything was becoming incompatible.

I had to download and use an AV program for a MAC laptop about 2 weeks ago. I've never used a MAC, but I told the guy at work I'd have a look. I was suspicious, but it really did have a virus/adware so I found a free tool (not much out there for MAC) and got rid of it for his daughter.

What an odd machine...

There are lots of good, free software out there. I use whatever is necessary to clean the system, but generally a combination of Malwarebytes FREE, and either AVG or Avast (I prefer to use Avast) plus CCleaner during the cleanup will do the job. I usually do a few manual checks and deletes and sometimes a safe boot or Live CD boot will be necessary to avoid the processes that block the cleanup tools.

For everyday protection I normally use just Avast and Malwarebytes, plus Adblocker Plus extensions to my browsers. And Malwarebytes is the FREE version, meaning it doesn't stay resident in memory scanning stuff while I'm using the computer. I have to run it when I want to do a check.

IF you can manage to avoid clicking the wrong pop ups, or opening the wrong emails, this should be good. Adblocker speeds up the surfing and does a LOT to keep those dangerous items from coming up to get clicked.

If you post the specific problem we might be able to give you advice on what steps to take to remove it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: When installing ANY software, be VERY careful to watch for other programs which might be included in the install. For example, a LOT of free, useful, legitimate software comes packaged with other things that you will want to opt out of during the install. Take your time and be sure that what you are clicking on is the correct option.

Worst case scenario, I highly recommend asking a nice computer guy to remote in and help out. Taking your computer to a Geek Squad or similar is the same as putting the install disc in your computer and formatting it. Except they will charge you $100! A trustworthy stranger might charge $40 or so and save your files if it needs to be formatted. Lots of them will do it for free if it's not too much work and they are friends or relatives.

In addition to the two I run as everday protection, I occasionally run Adaware and the rootkit utility built into Malwarebytes premium as a crazy ivan.

You got bit by the sneaky "already checked" checkbox. I just updated my MalwareBytes and caught the f-ing checkbox. Man I hate that. Anyway, I got a good bill of health.

malwarebytes.jpg

malwarebytes finished.jpg

You got bit by the sneaky "already checked" checkbox. I just updated my MalwareBytes and caught the f-ing checkbox. Man I hate that. Anyway, I got a good bill of health.

I didn't see that screen, but I finally got rid of it. Uninstalled a program I didn't recognize. Must of been part of the free program that was circumventing my pop up blocker.

I did download from the MalwareBytes site, not a secondary site.

What I've always done to get rid of junk is create an image of the machine with Ghost right when I purchase it and after I have programs installed...then you wipe the hard drive (Dariks Boot and Nuke) and reload the image back to the machine. Might be time consuming or unneeded as others seem to have contributed other fixes but it's what has always worked for me. Just my .02.

What I've always done to get rid of junk is create an image of the machine with Ghost right when I purchase it and after I have programs installed...then you wipe the hard drive (Dariks Boot and Nuke) and reload the image back to the machine. Might be time consuming or unneeded as others seem to have contributed other fixes but it's what has always worked for me. Just my .02.

This is so indepth but kind of reminds me of my process. I don't use ghose I have a copy of windows boot with my programs that I made with something else. Forget which program.

Disclaimer.........I loath Windows with a purple passion... it's been an unstable unreliable system since day one, and I've run EVERY version from 3.0 ( little more than a graphical front end on DOS) thtough 7 on at least one system........... By contrast, I've been running varioius version of Linux as my primary OS for many years..... I use the SUSE distributions as they have served me better than any other in a number of respects...
I've found that "security software" has been the number one culprit as far as degradation of stability and performance............. My secondary system, the ONLY Windows system I run regularly, runs only ONE program, and that program is "mission critical".... I don't use a browser, a word processor, an email program, spreadsheet program, or anything else, just one program connected to a remote server. I learned the hard way that security software caused "train wrecks". A few years ago I started using Microsoft Security Essentials for Window........ A FREE program, that does NOT crash window or degrade it. I no longer have to "blast my hard drive" and start over periodically. In the past I had zero tolerance for reduced performance and stability and would Fdisk and start over as soon as I began observing those things........ a long and painstaking process. With Win98, it was as often as 6 times a year!!

When I went to Linux and relagated Windows to ONE program, it made life a LOT easier. Both of my systems have Linux on one partition and Windows on the others.......I can switch if one becomes unstable (always the Windows partition). Linux runs stably and reliably for many years.... Windows for a few months as a rule!! That is until I went to ONE program and Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows........... F___ Microsoft!!!

H.W.

When I went to Linux and relagated Windows to ONE program

I kept a windows box around just for Quicken for quite awhile while I traveled through RedHat, Gentoo, and now Ubuntu. Then I moved my windows install to a virtual machine (first VMware, then VirtualBox). Now I run quicken via Crossover which is a commercially supported version of Wine (a reimplentation of the MS Windows API under linux) and don't use MS Windows at all.

Depending on your ONE app, you may be able to ditch MS Windows altogether for either Wine or Crossover...

Now if I could just ditch Quicken for GnuCash :(

Disclaimer.........I loath Windows with a purple passion... it's been an unstable unreliable system since day one, and I've run EVERY version from 3.0 ( little more than a graphical front end on DOS) thtough 7 on at least one system........... By contrast, I've been running varioius version of Linux as my primary OS for many years..... I use the SUSE distributions as they have served me better than any other in a number of respects...
I've found that "security software" has been the number one culprit as far as degradation of stability and performance............. My secondary system, the ONLY Windows system I run regularly, runs only ONE program, and that program is "mission critical".... I don't use a browser, a word processor, an email program, spreadsheet program, or anything else, just one program connected to a remote server. I learned the hard way that security software caused "train wrecks". A few years ago I started using Microsoft Security Essentials for Window........ A FREE program, that does NOT crash window or degrade it. I no longer have to "blast my hard drive" and start over periodically. In the past I had zero tolerance for reduced performance and stability and would Fdisk and start over as soon as I began observing those things........ a long and painstaking process. With Win98, it was as often as 6 times a year!!

When I went to Linux and relagated Windows to ONE program, it made life a LOT easier. Both of my systems have Linux on one partition and Windows on the others.......I can switch if one becomes unstable (always the Windows partition). Linux runs stably and reliably for many years.... Windows for a few months as a rule!! That is until I went to ONE program and Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows........... F___ Microsoft!!!

H.W.

And this helps the OP how?

It suggests the option to move away from MS windows to a less malware-targeted platform: Linux.
e.g.

It's not a panacea. It doesn't make one immune from malware... just not as susceptible.

The real point is that the ONLY security software that is reliable and doesn't cause crashes and degraded performance on Windows is Microsoft Security Essentials. Linux is not technically "immune", but for practical purposes it has been. It also has security software, which is built into the distribution... SUSE in my case, and is virtually invisible. By being in a small community of users as opposed to the huge user base ripe with targets, you have a level of protection automatically just by being outside the "bullseye"............

H.W.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KI5I5N6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I started wearing that to family gatherings. As a "joke".

Great idea ;-) ................... Actually I've removed myself from that list by making it clear that there is no practical way to "fix widows" other than Fdisk ............ which means spending a lot of time doing backups, then restoring everything, including the driver nightmare. When they can't find their install disks....... which almost nobody can, they soon lose interest, and ususally they buy a new system within a few months, mumbling about how their old system was worn out........ It's what keeps computer manufacturers in business, and Windows is designed that way intentionally.

H.W.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're getting far away from the topic. I highly doubt the OP wishes to spend time installing and learning a new OS. Starting a debate comparing different operating systems isn't helpful. And we've been down this road so many times, just like Glass vs Plastic, or is Secondary necessary.

Any advice?

AdwCleaner has been a solid, simple, portable, adware cleaner for me. No installation needed. Download the runtime and run it. When it's done it will want to reboot, after which it will present you with the log file. However, it's not a resident, real-time software like malwarebytes or avira, et al. Run the scan (which is fast), look through the tabs of adware/malware it found, unselect what you want to keep, click the clean button.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Oh, and be careful, scratch that. Do not run/use registry cleaners, or any of those programs purported to speed up your computer unless you really know what you are doing (and in that case you can do those cleanups better yourself). They rarely do any good, and often mess things up worse.

I stand by an offline malware scanner as the best option because that way rootkits, etc are unable to hide. The biggest problem though is that there are still traces and occasionally the traces are legitimate settings used nefariously so that they re-infect upon connecting to the internet again. In those cases the scorched earth(nuke the drive and reinstall from a scratch OS reinstall) tactic is best.

Back