Free OU online course: The Chemistry of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps we could use Homebrewtalk as a course review/discussion.

I haven't signed up yet. When you signed up did you see an interactive element? Some online courses have a dedicated forum built-in to it.

Im signed up. I havent looked at it recently but I think there is an interactive element to it. I would still be interested in a discussion group somewhere on here too though

My friend and I have signed up for the course a few weeks ago. If you get something going on here for a discussion group I'm in.:mug:

I ordered a used copy of Brewchem 101 on Amazon. Got it dirt-cheap; shipping cost more than the book. May be a good text to have during the course. I think A'zon has several more. But, be careful: On the one-click order button, if you get carried away, and click twice, you get 2 books.
If a-mazon means 'without breast', and 'ma' means breast, why is there a breast in a-ma-zon?

Just got signed up for the course. I'm actually pretty excited for this. I wish more schools would do free courses like this.

When the course starts perhaps we can initiate weekly threads (OU week #1 (course topic),#2 (course topic),#3.. etc) so that by the end of the course we're not left with one thread that's 50 pages long.

Signed up. Good stuff.

Taking the chemistry course for a refresher since its been about 14 years since I studied Chem. I remember loving it though.

I'm in. This was incredibly easy to sign up for and I actually see a lot of really interesting lectures here..

Anyway, Hopefully I don't forget the start date and hopefully being subscribed here helps.

thanks!

I took the Brewery Startup course at OSU-Bend. It was quite good. Looking forward to this one, too!

According to google there are about 6 threads on HBT about this course and this has the most posts, which is why I have come here.

I have done the course and all the assignments and now await the final exam. I have to do very well to pass as my average grade so far is around 60% and you need above 70% to pass, but I will still give it a try.

I studied chemistry in my first year at university. I did well at physical chem but sucked at organic chemistry, which the OU course is mostly about (as well as bio-chem). I have gone from being very conscientious to, as I realised how little chemistry I actually remember, doing the bare minimum. It hasn't made much difference on my grades!

It has still been a very worthwhile course and use of my time. Even if I don't need the technical chemistry knowledge, the high level understanding I have gained from just watching the videos and scanning over the course materials helps me understand and process technical articles on brewing (and discussions on HBT).

I am interested to others' experience.

I ended up having to stop paying attention to the class as my electrical engineering classes at my university took up all my time and take more precedence. It looked very interesting though.

Back