Free Mini-Keg dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
Here’s the dilemma:

I received 6 free mini-kegs, never used, from a family member who works for a Macro. I can;

A. go for the gusto and purchase a tapper appliance for around $200.(unlikely, but an option since I won't be doing cornys for quite some time)
B. purchase a tap system (Fass/Frisch, Tap-a-Keg) , which get mixed reviews, and through the thing in my fridge for around $90, or even cheaper if I can snag one off eBay.
C. recycle them or give them to another homebrewer who would actually use them.

All of the threads I have read about these things really leave me on the fence.

Please note: I have NO room for a corny system, and a 2.5 gallon corny won’t fit in my fridge at this point. I also don’t drink enough on a daily basis to cash one of those things out within a day of opening it, so a CO2 system would be a must.

Any suggestions?

I saw that tap-a-draft has an adapter to connect to those. You could get a tap-a-draft head and the adapter, then if you wanted to you could get some bottles for it later.

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with them. I have about 15 mini-kegs and have been using them for some time. I built a tap device out of PVC that works pretty good for what I needed. I wish I had a picture but I made it from PVC almost like the ones this person made here but not using the brass and copper. My beer line runs from the bottom of the keg through the 'T' and to the faucet. The CO2 enters for the other side of the 'T'.

I just attach it to a CO2 regulator connected to a paintball tank. I know others have had some issues with mini-kegs but so far I have not. I have forced carbed in them and have had pressures of 30 PSI with no problems. You may also be able to buy filled mini-kegs in your area also and use the same set up to dispense it. I used to be able to get Paulaner Oktoberfest and liked it but they no longer have it, have Beck's instead along with some other brands.

Anyway they worked for me and I plan to keep using them along with my corny kegs. Just my thoughts.

I am looking for a 2.5/3 gallon corny keg and would be willing to ship you a case of beer for it...or wine as I make that too...

Thanks for those links Revvy. I'm definitely going to go down that road. Great stuff.

Matt -These are not the $130 2.5/3 gallon corny's you're looking for. These are 5L mini-kegs.

Back