Free Hops from Sam Adams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbuddy

Reaction score
After working at my Daughters house yesterday I stopped by a shady little package store to pick up some beer. (All out of Homebrew) and at the counter they have these little packs of Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops from Sam Adams. Your supposed to crush them up in your hand and smell them like Jim does in his commercials. I tell the guy I brew my own and he gives them all to me. So now I have five packs of hops. The question is should I brew something with them and if so what?

After working at my Daughters house yesterday I stopped by a shady little package store to pick up some beer. (All out of Homebrew) and at the counter they have these little packs of Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops from Sam Adams. Your supposed to crush them up in your hand and smell them like Jim does in his commercials. I tell the guy I brew my own and he gives them all to me. So now I have five packs of hops. The question is should I brew something with them and if so what?

I would go for a clone and see how close I can get. Great find!

Yes. Beer.

More specifically, anything German or a nice clean lager would be good, I think. A cream ale or a blonde might be good with those hops.

Well it looks like on the pfrofile chart I have us can use them for both bittering and flavor/aroma. AA% is 3.5-6% and Beta is 3-4.5. Brews used for are: Stock ale, Altbiers, Belgain ale, Continental and American style lagers, Pilsner and even Wheats.
Quality will be affected if they have been sitting exposed to sun and fluorescent light and temp extremes.

How were they stored? It sound slike they were just hangin out on the counter next to the cashier or something? How old are they, are they sunstruck, vacuum packed, light barrier bag? Just some things I'd consider first.

I been wanting to try a larger since I got a free fridge from my daughter it was left by the previous owner of the house (bank owned). All I have to do is spend every weekend for the rest of my life fixing the place. What a deal.

Assuming they aren't lightstruck or oxidized, I would use them for flavor and aroma additions in a German or Vienna lager (or lager-style ale). Those hops are hard to come by for a homebrewer, and sure are nice!

They are in sealed packages no light getting through. They were just next to the cash register. No idea how old never seen them before anywhere. Not even sure how much is in each pack maybe an ounce total.

I'm a bit jealous :cross: I'm putting together a Brooklyn Lager clone, and I will probably have to sub the Hallertauer I have on hand since I have not found a source for Mittelfrueh under $5/oz. :mad:

Back