FREE BEER AT WORK!!! possibly expired?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterGlenn

Reaction score
So when I came into work this morning there was a BREWFERM Framboos can/kit on my desk with no note as to who it came from? I sent an email out at work so I can thank the person and give them a 6 pack of the stuff when its done.

To the point, the sticker on the bottom says 31/9/07 which I am assuming means Sept 9th 2007. I am guessing the prehopped malt in the can is fine, should I get new yeast? I have to believe the answer is yes, but what kind? I have never brewed anything like a Framboos before and am guessing Californina Ale yeast might not be best?

Imputs are appriciated :) also should I add more hops to this thing?

BrewFerm.jpg

yeah thanks for the responses, it did come withthe instructions, and I can ask my LHBS guy about the yeast, im sure he'll have an idea. I guess I was more asking if anyone has used one of these kits before and if so did they feel it was kinda watered down and I should add more hops, or maybe only make 2 gallons rather than the suggested 3 gallons?

Also what about that 31/9/07 date???? Dont get me wrong im making the beer anyways, just wondering how out of date/spoiled/bad? that it may turn out to be?

on another thread someone was using this as their hops/yeast portion

"1oz Tettnang @ 60 mins
No aroma hops

Danstar Nottingham Dry yeast, pitched dry"
original thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/framboise-clone-recipe-219711/
Framboise "clone" recipe

also I feel like this emoticon accuratly describes my current mood, given the free beer and 3 day weekend, and payday FRIDAY!!!! :fro:

Personally, I'd thank the person who gave it to you, but take it home and toss it. Tell the person the batch you made with it didn't come out.

Its old and even in it heyday those kits were marginal at best.

I just don't think it would stack up to the quality of ingredients we have available to us today. Just my opinion.

Plus it makes a framboise...no thanks.

Personally, I'd thank the person who gave it to you, but take it home and toss it. Tell the person the batch you made with it didn't come out.

I just don't think it would stack up to the quality of ingredients we have available to us today. Just my opinion.

I thought this was a hiliarious and most likely 100% true post. But I cant throw out free beer! I have the space for fermenting it and im just going to be sitting around drinking beer this weekend anyways, why not throw it in a bucket? Sounds like per the directions I dont even boil it?

Also I just recalled I have a london ESB yeast I didnt use last weekend that I could throw in there, would that turn out no good with the yeast and raspberry combo?

Maybe it's because I'm a Noob, and still haven't developed the "these ingredients aren't good enough for me" attitude yet, but I would definitely give this a shot.

I'm sure it's not going to be AMAZING, but it will most likely turn into an Alcoholic beverage that you can drink. :drunk: And since it was free, you can probably experiment with it, and add some ingredients you may not normally try with a batch you're more invested in.... like adding real rasberries, or some other kind of fruit.

Unless you take the lid off off and it smells terrible, I say go for it! :mug:

Just brew it if you have the extra fermenter sitting around, maybe replace the hops/yeast. If its bad, toss it later, give it away, whatever! I don't really get the date- how you came up with 9-9-07, I'd think it was 9-31-07 but there were only 30 days that month, are you sure its even an expiration date?

This was my thought. But, if you have a yeast cake or some harvested yeast I would give it a try. I would not invest any $$ in that kit.

I think the date is European for September 31, 2007. So that kit is almost 6 years old. Certainly not fresh. I would expect no hop flavor at all from it. But I don't know how hop flavor will fade in an unopened extract.

I'm sure it's not going to be AMAZING, but it will most likely turn into an Alcoholic beverage that you can drink. :drunk:

If this is the standard at which you are working, there are easier (and much cheaper) ways to make alcoholic beverages than homebrewing.

If OP has extra time on his hands (not sure what that feels like, but I digress...), sure...throw it in a bucket and see what happens. Spend extra time/money to "doctor it up"???....definitely not worth it.

I probably wouldn't bother with it, but if I was bored I might do a 15 minute boil on it, and pitch the original yeast (if it doesn't take off you've lost 15 minutes of your time). Could always use it as decoy beer to get rid of moochers.

I say go for it. i brewed a 2 year old with the old yeast in a small starter & it needed a blow off. Came out pretty good. see "Summer Ale" in my photos. I realize this one is a lot older,& you may indeed have to replace the yeast. But as long as the can's still sealed,it should be ok. darker & the flavor will be a lil different.

I don't have any experiance with this product, but tap water and a few minutes of your time, a pouch of -05( or something simular), I'd be game!

Just brew it if you have the extra fermenter sitting around, maybe replace the hops/yeast. If its bad, toss it later, give it away, whatever! I don't really get the date- how you came up with 9-9-07, I'd think it was 9-31-07 but there were only 30 days that month, are you sure its even an expiration date?

Yeah I meant 9/31/2007 must have mistyped, it is interesting that there are not 31 days in September...? Its just a sticker from a hand held pricing gun so what ever ying yang put it on there might have been drinking or something?

I am deffinetly going to brew it and replace the yeast with my london ESB yeast, and I believe I will boil for 15 minutes. Worst case scenario I boil bratwurst in it, not sure how a raspberry beer bratwurst will turn out, but if its no good I wont do it next time?

Whatever I do I will not dump it out/throw it away, if it doesnt make me vomit then its good for something and eventually that something will present it self.

If this is the standard at which you are working, there are easier (and much cheaper) ways to make alcoholic beverages than homebrewing.

If OP has extra time on his hands (not sure what that feels like, but I digress...), sure...throw it in a bucket and see what happens. Spend extra time/money to "doctor it up"???....definitely not worth it.

Obviously, if I'm spending my time and money to brew something, I'm going to try to make something that tastes delicious, and will take care in selecting my ingredients.

Just like when I go to the Beer Store, I pick out a six pack of something that I think is going to be great. However, if somebody brings me a six pack of keystone light, or some mikes hard lemonade....I'm not going to throw it in the trash. At some point, they will probably get consumed.

Sorry my standards aren't high enough to post my opinions.

Dude has an empty fermentor, and brewing is fun. I doubt this will take a substantial amount of time, since it's a kit, and If he doesn't want to spend any extra money "doctoring" it, that's fine. Doubt it will break the bank to buy a box of rasberries from the grocery store though.

Doubt it will break the bank to buy a box of rasberries from the grocery store though.

At $6-7/box, that is a pitiful waste of raspberries.

....aaaand once again, a HBT poster takes a dissenting opinion to heart and gets all butt hurt over it.

At $6-7/box, that is a pitiful waste of raspberries.

....aaaand once again, a HBT poster takes a dissenting opinion to heart and gets all butt hurt over it.

Pretty sure I won't lose any sleep over it.

Just posting my own dissenting opinion...which is that you're a snob.

Off to buy some PBR after work. Sorry for partying.

so I got around to brewing this stuff and it smelled fine however when I opened the can it was preasurized in there. Almost like it had been fermenting in the can?

I am assuming that this was supposed to have a bit of a red hint to it, well it was as dark as some of the darkest stouts/porters I have ever seen. Also it called for 2 cups of sugar added to it, I will check when I get home but I hope this stuff didnt blow off my air lock and make a mess in my chest freezer!!!

Also an FYI I did end up using the London ESB yeast.

Ill let you guys know how it turns out!!! :ban: :ban: :ban:

I knew it was going to be darker colored at this point. Flavor will be darker...not necessarily roatier or toastier...but darker by a bit than it normally would be. That's about as close as I can describe it.

so I got around to brewing this stuff and it smelled fine however when I opened the can it was preasurized in there. Almost like it had been fermenting in the can?

I am assuming that this was supposed to have a bit of a red hint to it, well it was as dark as some of the darkest stouts/porters I have ever seen. Also it called for 2 cups of sugar added to it, I will check when I get home but I hope this stuff didnt blow off my air lock and make a mess in my chest freezer!!!

Also an FYI I did end up using the London ESB yeast.

Ill let you guys know how it turns out!!! :ban: :ban: :ban:

"pressurized" in the can doesn't sound too good!

Remember how we were all told never to use food out of a can that was dented or was under pressure due to spoilage bacteria? That's what probably is going on.

I don't mind using expired stuff, but something that's been expired for nearly 6 years and has changed color and is under pressure in the can makes me think it's far too late.

broadbill said:
you work? pegged that one wrong.

Enjoy the PBR.

This site has gotten much less friendly the past couple of days.

unionrdr said:
True. But he did boil it for 15 minutes. So that should've helped in that regard. We'll find out I'm sure...

I don't think boiling would kill botulism, but the acidity should. I personally wouldn't drink it.

I don't think boiling would kill botulism, but the acidity should. I personally wouldn't drink it.

Boiling will not kill the botulism toxin, may kill off the producer of it though.

Does this topic give anyone else get flashbacks to the expired Mr. Beer kit video? "I dry cocoanut-ed it" Sorry guys, cant help but re-link to the video.

[ame]http://youtu.be/g09b17V4NWQ[/ame]

My bet is it will be....BEER! Maybe not very tasty but I dont think it will kill ya.

well now I am nervous about dying...

can I get a kit or something to test it for botulism? Then in the event that it has this stuff in it should I just pitch my fermenter and everything else that touched this stuff? :(

Idk about the test kit. But if it did contain the toxin,you might just have to pitch it. Unless bleach solution would kill it/neutralize it?...

This site has gotten much less friendly the past couple of days.

Or filled with increasingly thin-skinned posters, depending on how you look at it.

It's a discussion board people. Don't be surprised when an actual discussion occurs....:confused:

well now I am nervous about dying...

can I get a kit or something to test it for botulism? Then in the event that it has this stuff in it should I just pitch my fermenter and everything else that touched this stuff? :(

Getting it tested would be throwing good money after bad (I know it is free, but you get my point).

Pressurized cans don't sound good. I'd err on the side of caution on this one.

I think you are fine. See this link re:Botulism and ME. I trust BYO.

https://***********/stories/item/41...centrated-extract-with-its-high-sugar-content

Now with that out of the way let’s discuss why brewers do not to spend any time at all worrying about the growth of Clostridium botulinum in the malt extract. Malt extract, whether liquid or dry, is concentrated by removing water. One key attribute of food products used to gauge their susceptibility to spoilage is a property known as water activity or AW. Pure water has a water activity of 1.0 and as solids content increases the AW decreases. The definition of AW is not important here, but relates to equilibrium relative humidity. If you want to read more there is a bunch of information about water activity online and in food science books.

At any rate, Clostridium botulinum is not a problem in foods with an AW less than 0.93 because it doesn’t grow. The water activity of liquid malt extract (LME) is somewhere around 0.60 depending on its concentration. Honey has an AW between 0.55 and 0.60, so it stands to reason that liquid malt extract with a similar concentration is going to be in the same range. Dried malt extract has an AW of about 0.20 making it very shelf stable from a microbiological view. You are correct that liquid malt extract is not pressure canned because there is no safety concern requiring it to be.

DrunkleJon -- thanks for the info

I spoke with my father-in-law, who is a trama surgeon (not that he deals with alot of botulism cases, but I figure he knows more about it than me and my friends...) and he said, your probably fine, and if you do get it they have acure for it.

So I think I am going to try it, and inform my wife that if I get sick and begin to die tell the doctors to treat me for botulism. That should be good enough for me to live...? I gotta make sure thee old life insurance policy is paid up:D

Ill keep you guys updated!

on another note, I have been curious about how beer competitions work. I have heard that the same beer may get gold in one competition and dead last in another. ***I do not expect this beer to get any medals!!!

I wanted to send this to a few competitions just to see what the ratings are and read the judges comments, however after hearing the beer may be poisonous I cant in good concious let anyone drink it with out knowing the posible risks.

But.... If I drink it, and dont drop dead a week later, then would it be unethical/a jerk move to enter in a few competitions? Again I will drink it first and make sure it is safe for human consuption before letting anyone drink the beer. Also I am not planning on winning any competitions with a beer that was already called "a pitiful waste of raspberries" I am just curious about the different comments that can be received from the same beer in different competitions?

Is this a horrible idea? And if so why? (I am not concerend about the shipping cost on a beer I know will lose)

Back