Free 1969 CO2 Tank with Full Pressure SAFE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Build

Reaction score
I was given a full CO2 tank complete with regulator and fittings, that has been stored for 20 years. It's steel and manufactured in January 1969, and was last filled in the 90s. It still holds full pressure as it was never used since it was last filled.

Is the CO2 still good to use or should it be refilled?

Thanks!

I was mostly wondering if there might be a internal corrosion problem or something? It's been sitting in the garage since 1969 and last filled in 1992. I guess since it still has full pressure it should be ok.

I wouldn't think a co2 tank could corrode inside if it was properly filled with co2.

You are good to go OP, just need to pay to get it retested when it needs a refill.

For goodness sake get it pressure tested to make sure it's safe. This can be done cheaply at any gas supplier.

Not with it being full. I think being under pressure its kind of testing it self at the moment for working pressure.
That said, if it was mine I would let the gas go and send it in for a hydro and inspection. They will look inside the tank for any corrosion issues and then pressure test it well beyond its working pressure. IMHO its well worth the $50 to have it checked out and refilled.

Just my .02

Cheers
Jay

In my opinion it has held the pressure fine for 20 years, not to mention that it is in a garage which will have temperature fluctuations so all the better. The CO2 will not magically become poisonous or anything. Check the outside of the tank carefully for any irregularities like rust bubbles, etc. You should be fine to use it for what CO2 it has in it, then swap it out for a full one or you will have to pay to send it off for a hydro when you go to get it refilled.

Where I take my tanks for a refill they simple exchange my empty for a different full tank. I dont have to worry about getting it hydro tested. I would use up the gas and then work on an exchange refill.

It looks like new outside including the valve, regulators, etc. I found a few more stamps on it from refills/tests, and it's much older than I thought. The first time it was refilled was 1948, with 1957, 1960, and on and on. Seems this tank is a good one. It's a 25 lb tank and was originally used in a soda fountain.

I got an old steel one from my father's friend a few years ago. It was full. I used up the co2 and then took it in for refill. They informed me that it needed a rebuilt valve. They also recommended I keep it vs taking it to a place that swaps tanks. For whatever reason he said the old steel ones are better than the newer aluminum.

I got lucky that it was safe, I was ignorant back then though. If I was you I would take it to get tested before using just in case.

The O in CO2 indicates that oxygen is present. CO2 corrosion of steel is very real. It is accelerated with the presence of impurities, especially water. Science.

Fair enough on the impurities, that O2 in CO2 aint going anywhere though, unless you have some plants in there :D

Photosynthesis is not the only reaction in which CO2 is decomposed. There's a paper discussing the decomposition of CO2 in the presence of iron ions that is a bit above my "rusty" college chemistry skills (Google carbon dioxide corrosion). Our discussion is a bit beside the point. The bottom line is that an old tank should be tested before it is put into service. Cracking the valve on the one in question may not lead to disaster, but given the cheap price of a refill, I would not risk it.

It looks like new outside including the valve, regulators, etc. I found a few more stamps on it from refills/tests, and it's much older than I thought. The first time it was refilled was 1948, with 1957, 1960, and on and on. Seems this tank is a good one. It's a 25 lb tank and was originally used in a soda fountain.

When I tested CO2 cylinders back in the 70's, it was normal to get CO2 cylinders from WWI and even before (the coolest ones were the ex-NAZI cylinders, I bet they'd fetch a pretty penny now).

Air or scuba cylinders: whole 'nother story. :off:

Bottom Line: Use the CO2 as you normally would, then have the cylinder refilled (they'll retest it prior) or get it exchanged - either way no biggie.

Good luck!

Back