Freaky Ferments with Wyeast 1084

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I recently used Wyeast 1084 for the first time. I made an SSTP clone, harvested the yeast from that batch and then pitched it into a High Gravity Irish Red (1.076). This stuff is smoking hot yeast!

I pitched a starter in the SSTP clone, and it went to work within a couple hours. I was impressed with how quickly started. I racked it to the secondary fementer a week later, when I brewed the Irish Red, and it all looked good. A few days ago prior to kegging this bad boy I noticed some strange flocculation going on. A white film was floating on top of my beer. It was unlike anything I have ever seen during any stage of fermentation. I was relieved to discover it was not malodourus at all. A good sign, that it was not infected. :ban:

The SSTP clone got racked to a keg for conditioning yesterday, Terminal Gravity was 1.010, the beer tasted fine, aside from being flat.

The second time with this yeast, it got pitched into my Irish Red, it blew the lid of off my primary fermentation vessel. It literally starting fermenting within two hours of pitching the stuff. I haven't seen the freaky white film on this batch yet, although it's only been in the secondary for six days.

Anyone else experience freaky ferments with this yeast?

I've only used it once & it blew the lid. Good stuff! I just don't make many high gravity ales any more.

I'm using 1084 for a Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout Clone right now and have the weird white bubbly film on top. It tasted fine a few days ago. We shall see how it goes. Is this common with this Yeast?

using this right now on a Guinness clone. I made a starter and almost immediately got bubbling from the airlock.

I'm fermenting right around 63F, hopefully to bring out the dry character. What temp are your lid-blowing fermentations at??

Jason

I have an Oatmeal Stout going right now with 1084. Pitched it at 70F and it started in 4 hours. A day later the blow off house was farting constantly. I am now sitting at 64F. It seems fast starting every time I use it.

I have a 1.082 OG imperial IPA in primary right now (used 1084 2 pack starter) on day 5 and when i checked on the beer about 15 hours into fermentation the beer was oozing out the seams of my bucket and i had an airlock full of murky krausen water. Needless to say this yeast is a freaking boss, and required me to fashion a blow off tube with the body of a 3 piece air lock and tubing from my mash tun. Looking forward to tasting this beer in a month or so. *I pitched the starter at
62F and the fermentation did a rise up to 68-70f. I'm gonna let it sit at 60-62 for another few days then probably bring it back up to room temperature for a diacetyl rest.

Back