Franziskaner hefe weissen Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDuckbutter

Reaction score
does anyone have a clone for this???
I tried it yesterday for the first time...it was $2.49 for 1 - 17 ounce bottle...but it was Gooooooood...

DUNKEL

i often see clones for the hefe wiessen, but not the dunkel version...
thanks

Sorry, no help on cloning Franziskaner in particular: But, I love a good dark wheat!

I brewed a batch of it from a recipe from my LHBS and ended up liking it more than the Franz, Weihenstephaner, Echter, and Hacker Pschorr varieties.

I have found both the WLP300/3068 or the WLP380 Yeast to be great for the beers.
Partial Mash: Hops and Berries
All-Grain: Hops and Berries

Look for DeathBrewer's thread on Easy Partial Mash Brewing and try his Dunkleweizen recipe. It's very simple and tastes pretty close to Franziskaner, from what I remember.

I love dark wheat beers..

I've posted a few times for a clone for Unibroue- Chambly Noire and no one had one.

FYI if you want to drink the best Dunkle Weiss in the world run and get yourself a bottle of Two Brother- Bonfire Dunkle Weiss.. Best ever.

anyhow, hopefully someone posts a recipe for a good Dunkle.

I was hoping to brew up a batch of Dunkle Weiss and throw a couple pounds of cherrys in the secondary.

Look for DeathBrewer's thread on Easy Partial Mash Brewing and try his Dunkleweizen recipe. It's very simple and tastes pretty close to Franziskaner, from what I remember.

yep, it's close. link is in my sig. use WLP300 and ferment in the low 60s for banana and clove. use WLP380 for more apricot and other fruity notes (my preference for dunkelweizen)

EDIT: what am i doing. it's so simple:

6 lbs Wheat Malt
4 lbs Munich Malt
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.75 oz hops for 60 minutes (tettnanger, hallertau or saaz)
WLP380

bam. done.

that's all-grain. partial mash would be:

3 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
3 lbs Dry Wheat Malt Extract (or 4 lbs Liquid)
WLP380

you can't really do an extract version of this recipe because it needs the munich.

lol...whoops! i usually use tettnanger. 0.75 ounce is pretty close to what you need if it has an average alpha acid content.

hallertau and saaz are also acceptable.

/post edited

lol...whoops! i usually use tettnanger. 0.75 ounce is pretty close to what you need if it has an average alpha acid content.

hallertau and saaz are also acceptable.

/post edited

The Saaz will add a little spiciness. This is what I use in addition to Tettnanger. helps your brew stand apart from others.
.75 oz Tettnanger .25 oz Saaz
:rockin:

what am i doing. it's so simple:

6 lbs Wheat Malt
4 lbs Munich Malt
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
WLP380

bam. done.

Strangely enough, the simplest recipes often lead to the finest brews.
SMaSH's being an example.

The Saaz will add a little spiciness. This is what I use in addition to Tettnanger. helps your brew stand apart from others.
.75 oz Tettnanger .25 oz Saaz
:rockin:

ooh, tett has some spiciness, too. i find saaz is a lot more soft. that mixture will make a damn fine beer...soft, smooth and spicy. i guess i like my beer like i like my women :D

Just brewed this yesterday and looking forward to it. Waiting on fermentation to kick in and worried 58* might be too cold for WLP380. I'll give it another day or so and bring it into a warmer room if needed.

Just brewed this yesterday and looking forward to it. Waiting on fermentation to kick in and worried 58* might be too cold for WLP380. I'll give it another day or so and bring it into a warmer room if needed.
I had trouble getting that yeast to take off under 64*.

ooh, tett has some spiciness, too. i find saaz is a lot more soft. that mixture will make a damn fine beer...soft, smooth and spicy. i guess i like my beer like i like my women :D

How would it taste if you did the 0.75 oz of Tettnanger for the 60 min boil, and added the 0.25 oz of Saaz for the last 15 mins? I'm asking because I really like the aromatic Saaz taste/aroma, but I'm not sure how that would go in a dunkel.

Back