Franziskaner dunkel....who's had this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
Have you had one of these? My god, they are delicious! well, I like them a lot. Wish they came in sixers instead of the european pint bottles. I just compared one to a Hacker-Schorr dark wheat and they Franzy blew it away in delicacy and fragrance....it made the HS seem cloying in it's caramel-maltiness.....atleast, I think it did. what say you, beer lovers?

good, but a lot of the places i have seen if obviously dont turn over the stock very well- find it at a good vendor, fresh and its lovely

have you had aventinus weizenbock? or tucher dunkel? if you havent, you should- i think they are both much better

try weihenstephaner vitus weizenbock- i dont think theres a better wheat beer made, period

I love this stuff. Dunkelweizen is my favorite wheat beer category. I also enjoy the Weihenstephaner dunkel, however this may be because I worship the normal Weihenstephaner hefeweißbier as one of the finest in the world.

I love the Franz Dunkel. I also suggest trying Aventinus Wheat Dopplebock if you haven't had it.

-bn

I need to try a real dunkel. The extract batch i made a few months ago sucked, and gave me horrendous farts.

Oh my God. Before I moved to Tennessee, my friends and I used to do lunch at the Sleeping Dog Tavern in Santa Fe and I'd order it all the time. If I could do nothing but drink Franziskaner Dunkel for the rest of my life, I would consider it a success.

Actually, I'd just settle for being able to find it here.

Big fan here as well. I got the ingredients right now to try and make one myself. I'm crossing my fingers it comes out close....lol

My god, I was half drunk on the stuff and I forgot I even made this little post of worship! I didn't expect to see very many people respond, much less with affirmation.....

.....I would love to try all of your suggestions, but I can't seem to find any of those in my neck of the woods. Got a decent liquor store here but the only other dark wheat I've been able to find is, as I said, the Hacker-Schorr and it didn't stand up for me at all......

.....I have a Witbier, my first all-grain experiment, in the fermentor and it was inspired by my discovery of the Franziskaner, but I realize it will not be a similar beer.....I am exploring the world of wheat!

Big fan here as well. I got the ingredients right now to try and make one myself. I'm crossing my fingers it comes out close....lol

is it a clone-recipe or just a similar dunkel style?.....maybe you could share it .....I'd love to try my hand at making a dunkel. At the very least, report back on it and good luck!

(BTW, I don't know if your avatar pick is you or not, but that guy looks exactly like one of my best friends from back home (juneau, AK)....it's just wierd to see Matt's face popping up all over the place on here! :cross: )

is it a clone-recipe or just a similar dunkel style?.....maybe you could share it .....I'd love to try my hand at making a dunkel. At the very least, report back on it and good luck!

(BTW, I don't know if your avatar pick is you or not, but that guy looks exactly like one of my best friends from back home (juneau, AK)....it's just wierd to see Matt's face popping up all over the place on here! :cross: )

I got it written down at home. I'll get it posted up as soon as I get home this afternoon.....:mug:

"Holly Crap" I have a twin?.... I can see the signs of fear in my wife's eyes with just the thought.....lol.....Yea, that's me at work. After over four years of dealing with medics and keeping ambulances in tip top shape it tends to twist the mind a bit. I do love my hat though!......:D

No love for the Ayinger Ur-Weisse? That's my favorite dunkelweizen.

And whoever said that about Vitus, you're right, just awesome.

not trying to brag here, but check my recipe for "death by dunkel". it's an all grain recipe, but it's my first "original" recipe, and i brew it all the time. it's my house beer. i always have to have it around to please the masses, and swmbo. everyone who tries it swears it's the best dunkel they've ever had. i've gone through i don't even know how many gallons of it. i generally have to brew it every month just to keep up with consumption. it's really easy, doesn't require any kind of lagering, and is the best dunkel i've ever had, other than the hofbrauhaus dunkel at the actual hofbrauhaus.

not trying to brag here, but check my recipe for "death by dunkel". it's an all grain recipe, but it's my first "original" recipe, and i brew it all the time. it's my house beer. i always have to have it around to please the masses, and swmbo. everyone who tries it swears it's the best dunkel they've ever had. i've gone through i don't even know how many gallons of it. i generally have to brew it every month just to keep up with consumption. it's really easy, doesn't require any kind of lagering, and is the best dunkel i've ever had, other than the hofbrauhaus dunkel at the actual hofbrauhaus.

I will certainly take a hard look at it, thanks Chainsaw brewing! Those kind of testimonials perk my ears up a bit.....and I will be making a dunkel very soon! :mug:

Just a heads up, but chainsawbrewing's recipe is for a Munich Dunkel-like beer, which is malty lager, not a dunkelweizen like Franziskaner, which is a malty wheat beer.

Ugh, I must have found a place with bad stock turnover because it tastes like I have a nickel in my mouth when I take a drink of this Franziskaner.

I was so excited too :(

It has been quite a while, but it was one of my first beer when I was studying abroad in Germany. From what I remember it was quite tasty.

My wife used to be a tremendous fan. Now she finds it too sweet. I've always found it a little too sweet. I do agree about the HS dunkel. I greatly enjoy the hacker hefe and oktoberfest but I feel like the dunkel could use some work. I like several of the others mentioned above.

Dunkelweizen is a fairly easy style of beer as long as you can control the fermentation temperatures to balance the clove and banana. I find simple recipes produce great dunkelweizens so it's definitely a beer worth trying to brew, even if you're new to the hobby/obsession.

Latest posts

Back