Franziskaner Clone Over Carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitsuj80

Reaction score
I am having issues with a Franziskaner Clone that I kegged a while back. After looking at a carb chart it stated to force carbonate at 22 psi for this particular hefe. I thought it was a little high but went ahead anyway. I then calculated that I needed around 10 ft of 3/16" line to balance everything out. Initially I was getting half head and half beer on my pours. I then went down to 18 psi and got the same thing. I have been at 14 psi for about a week now and am still getting way too much head on pours. Am I doing something wrong? I have a porter that is at 12 psi with less line and it pours really nice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

I did bleed off excess but don't know if it just takes a while for everything to equalize to the new pressure?

22psi at 40f that's 3.37 volumes! What chart were you using? Disconnect the co2 and vent the keg. After at least a day or two of bleeding off co2 and after the beer sits overnight reconnect the co2 (before venting the co2) at maybe 12 or 13 psi and if there is no flow there is still too much co2 pushing back. Disconnect and keep bleeding for a couple more days until the co2 set at 12 or so flows in a little.

Your right I overlooked that 3.4 volumes is appropriate but I think you'll struggle to dispense beer that fizzy through 10 feet of line even if you lower the pressure at serving. Anyone have experience dispensing beer this fizzy?

You'll need longer lines than 10' for that pressure. The line length calculators can be misleading, and aren't always accurate, especially for serving temps over ~36F. Even with a properly balanced system, there will be quite a bit of head serving any beer at 3.4 vol.

Back