Franken-brew got huge....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywoodjabrewme

Reaction score
Recipe first, question to follow:

Grains:
1.5 lb 2 row
.5 lb brown
.25 lb crystal 60
.5 lb chocolate
.5 lb carapils

Extract:
3 lbs Muntons extra dark DME
6 lb Mallard malts dark LME

Hops:
1 oz northern brewer @ 60 mom
1 oz Willamette @ 15 min

Yeast:
Wyeast 1028

2.5 gallon boil and grains were steeped @ 155-160. Brought back to boil, cooled, then added extract. Back to rolling boil for 60 min (hop schedule above). Then cooled to 80, transferred to carboy with remaining 2.5 gallons chilled to 60. Added yeast and aerated.

SG: 1.096 @67 degrees

Question- still new to this and probably shouldn't of done such a big beer, but had the stuff laying around and thought "what the hell". No yeast activity after second day so I added another packet of Wyeast 1028. Now into day 3 and it started bubbling this AM.

Do you think it will survive, given the fact that I now know I should of made a larger starter? I have another packet of Wyeast 1098 that I can make a starter with if ya'll think it will help.

As I writing this I checked fermentation activity and it already seems to be slow, bubble every second or so (it was furious this AM).

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.....don't wanna give up on this big dog just yet!

-D.

Back