Fractometer vs Glass Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyman

Reaction score
I just bought a new fractometer for around $28. I am to the FG part of my brew and I keep getting a reading around 1.025. thinking I needed more time for fermentation I waited several days and Dah! I decided to check it with my glass Hydrometer. I got 1.010 with booth of my glass meters. This either tells me the fractometer is junk or I am not doing something right. I did the calibration according to the instructions using distilled water. I tried sever more test's and got the same reading. Any Ideas?

The presence of alcohol distorts a refractometer's reading. It is not defective, just a shortcoming inherent to the design.

The general rule of thumb is use a refractometer for everything BEFORE pitching yeast, and a hydrometer after.

There are calculators that can be used to "convert" refractometer readings post-fermentation, but I have never found them to be reliable. Others will swear otherwise, so take that for what it's worth.

I'm going to assume there is a typo, and you have purchased a refractometer.

Refractrometers do not work well with the presence of alcohol. There are some calculators out there that will convert your refractometer final reading into a specific gravity reading but they don't always work very well. In general, refractometer pre fermentation, hydrometer post fermentation.

Refractometers are not accurate in the presence of alcohol. There are on line converters, but the hydrometer is still more reliable for FG.

Thanks guy's I will us the glass hydrometer after fermentation. Didn't know this little factor...

Back