Founders Majority Stake Being Sold to Spanish Co

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was an interesting video by Matt Tonsmeire/The Mad Fermentationist. There is about ~5 seconds of content on Mahou-San Miguel at 13:16.

Their website (https://www.mahou-sanmiguel.com/en-gb/brands) lists Carlsburg as a Brand (I see Carlsburg ranked as the #4 largest brewing conglomerate in the world), but the video does not point to any tie between the two. The video points to Mahou-San Miguel also having a majority share in Avery, but no Avery brands are listed.

I enjoy Founders beers...hope they don't change much.

That San Miguel Group has been a minority owner for a long time, and I believe their ownership has always been above the arbitrary percentage that would prevent them from being classified as a "craft brewery" anyways.

Don't care. Will still drink their beer....

Yes, Mahou San Miguel owned 30% of Founders. The craft brewery threshold is 25%. That Mahou investment was made 5 years ago and at the time there was a provision for them to buy out the company at the end of five years so apparently they were satisfied enough with their investment to do just that. The two owners each kept 5%.

As far as I can tell Mahou has never interfered with the brewing at Founders. They have provided the capital for growth but have left the beer making decisions to people who are on the front lines at the brewery. That system has seemed to work very well with Founders building a new brew-pub in Detroit, a new production facility near Grand Rapids, contract brewers in other states to expand distribution. Since the 30% buyout five years ago they have gone from state wide distribution to regional distribution and now to national distribution.

I agree. The the previous ownership has provided much growth for Founders. I just don’t want to see thing change for the worst which can happen when another company has majority control of the brewery. Time will tell. I wish them the best.

My wife drinks nothing but All Day so hopefully that beer will never change. I've tried to brew a clone but it's hard to find a good clone recipe for it.
I agree with an earlier post... it's cool to see someone's dream pay off. I can't knock it too hard because I'd be willing to do the same thing! Haha.

Craft Beer is a capital intensive business, people seem to overlook that. Good for those guys, I'm sure they worked super hard.

Well, I stopped buying from them over a year ago. Everything I bought from them was oxidized, which is too bad, because I really like their breakfast stout.

Latest posts

Back