found this awesome site- has anyone heard of them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scinerd3000

Reaction score
Oak Barrel Winecraft

there based up in Berkley california but they have a few hops varieties or 13 bucks a pound......i thought that was a bit cheap and i started looking around and there grain prices as well as everything else is pretty cheap aswell. Has anyone delt with them before because im interested in making a few purchases.

I've been to that store a few times. They've been around for a long time. Good folks mostly. Fair prices from what I remember, it's been a while since I've been in there.

im comforted someone actually has heard of it- im amazed with there prices as even with shipping it blows everything ive seen out of the water. Shippings 10 bucks...

Amarillo Whole Flower Hops

Product Features:

Vacuum-Sealed for Freshness
Highest Quality
4 oz. and 1 lb. packages
Cold Packed for Shipping

Price:

$4.99 USD 4 oz.

Price:

$13.99 USD 1 lb.

Product Description

Alpha acids: 8-12%, Co-Humulone: 21-24%.
Strong and sharp with an orange like citrusy bite, slightly pungent and piney. A wonderfully aromatic hop used in many of the most popular IPA's. Demand is high and supply often runs out, so you may want to order enough to last all year.
Weight:

4 oz. and 1 lb.

Availability:

In Stock

wierd.....

This is my LHBS...the single greatest shop of the face of the earth. unfortunately, they are a VERY LOCAL shop.

from what i understand they do not sell hops online or over the phone. you'll have to come to the store. they have decent prices, but not what they are advertising online. to my knowledge they don't even really use their website. i should tell them to take the extra crap off of there and just have their front page for presence.

i think they actually do have some amarillo right now, tho :D

Just thought this was funny......Read the product features...

asdfasdf.jpg

lol, like i said, i don't know when or why they ever got a website. i'm sure they just paid someone to set up a website for them and they went overboard then never used it. sometimes i use it to look up the number when i don't have my cell phone :D

these guys do a ton of turnover locally. they couldn't handle online sales as well.

if you ever get the chance, DO stop by Berkeley. it's a wonderful shop filled with knowledgeable brewers, fresh supplies, good atmosphere, good brew on tap...plus you'll probably see me there. if not, tell them DeathBrewer sent you. they know who i am ;)

Yeah, I second what Deathbrewer says; it's a mile from my house and they have good, cheap stuff, and sometimes things you wouldn't expect: Pilsner DME and Munich LME for instance. The supplies (not the ingredients) can be a little pricey though. And I know for a fact that they don't do anything with their website.

yeah, supplies are sometimes pricey and limited to what you can get. i buy most of my stuff there, tho....i support the hell out of that place. i wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

You guys are spoiled, my LHBS is a 20 minute ride, and it isn't well stocked. Good people though, and a decent selection of grain. I wish I had an Oakbarrel Winecraft 1 mile from my place as well though! I have ACK radio though, www.ackradio.com, I am a electrical engineer and a hobby nut so its like a candy store to me and a 2 minute walk.

wait so your saying they dont ship? im slightly confused because if they do ship im probably gonna buy some stuff from there? your a lucky bastard to have that right around the corner

just come visit. it's worth it :D

Considering that my ex lived in Lake Forest, that's one HELL of a drive. For me alone driving to Berkley it's like 6 or 7 hours by car.

I hate to say it, but he'd be better off making the trip to the valley and shopping in the place the maltose falcons party out of. Good to great hops selection (only 2 varieties I've looked for that they didn't have), extremely knowledgeable and laid back staff, fresh grain and malt extract, and a grain mill right there.

My only complaint about them is that their equipment is on the expensive side. I order online for my equipment, and go there for my specialty stuff or ingredients. This is a 45 minute drive one way for me, but it beats Mr. Suds, which has zilch for beermaking.

Hey cool! Since DeathBrewer is so close, we should just send our orders to him. He could pick everything up in person and ship it out. Matter of fact, since we are all friends here, maybe he could offer free shipping or something....

Hey cool! Since DeathBrewer is so close, we should just send our orders to him. He could pick everything up in person and ship it out. Matter of fact, since we are all friends here, maybe he could offer free shipping or something....

Second. ;)

free shipping, sure! but i'll get you with the "handling fees" and "packaging/loading" costs. :D

This is my LHBS as well and I love it! I used to drive all the way to B3 in Concord, they have alot of variety and inventory, but I hate the grain mill there. I really like the stone mill for cracking my grains at the Oak Barrel. My efficiency has been consistantly at 80-85%. I agree they can't compete with B3 on equipment, but the ingredients are fantastic. You definitely want to call ahead and make sure they have the yeast and the hops you need. Berkely is a great place, Go Bears!!!! :rockin:

Eastside

if you ever get the chance, DO stop by Berkeley. it's a wonderful shop filled with knowledgeable brewers, fresh supplies, good atmosphere, good brew on tap...plus you'll probably see me there. if not, tell them DeathBrewer sent you. they know who i am ;)

You'll probably be there. You have a cot in the back, right?? :)

no, but i spend about 3 lunch hours and 4-5 nights there a week :D

ya know, for supplies. not to drink beer and bother the customers ;)

I try to get in there once a month, I bet we cross paths one of these times. I always enjoy having a homebrew while pulling my grains! B3 doesn't offer that.

Eastside

sometimes they do...usually when they're having a presentation or something. oak barrel doesn't alwasy have the BEST beer, but it's decent brew. they get stuff from triple rock, too.

hmm...i should head by there when i take my lunch today (been working since 8:00 and haven't had lunch, ugh.)

More than likely its quanity of one and with hop prices it would be for one ounce. You used to get 2 ounces for that price. If you are in the Chico area and get to know the bartenders at the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company they will give you hops for free. But this was before the Hop Scares

just come visit. it's worth it :D

loooooong drive. I should be going to school eventually in Davis which is in the neighborhood so maybe ill drop into your LHBS...

on a tangent what other online stores do you guys use? i was so excited about this one because of prices compared to AHB and Northern Brewer but what else have you found for hops, certain equipment etc?

More than likely its quanity of one and with hop prices it would be for one ounce. You used to get 2 ounces for that price. If you are in the Chico area and get to know the bartenders at the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company they will give you hops for free. But this was before the Hop Scares

free is deffinitly the best type of hops these is

Back