Found These @ A Cheap price

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonkster

Reaction score
image-1776532573.jpg

I found this for 99 cents @ a local dollar store, they are 40oz. What I plan on doing with this is to paint it with a dark Acrylic paint, put in the oven to bake the paint. It will be dish washer-safe. Question, has anybody else tried this? The pace where I got it has a lot of them. I'm hoping that it works, cause I would like to give them out for Christmas presents, of course filled!!! Lol!!! Hopefully my skills will get better & I can make a batch of Barley Wine!!!

Where are you located, and what store did you find then at? Sounds like a good deal.

Howiedw said:
Where are you located, and what store did you find then at? Sounds like a good deal.

I'm in PA!! Got them from Dollar Tree.
I hope they don't become Bottle Bombs!!! I don't plan on using it for awhile, so I guess I'll have to check before I buy more!!

That holds 40 ounces?
There must be an optical illusion going on, because they look more like 8 ounce bottles.

Halbrust said:
That holds 40 ounces?
There must be an optical illusion going on, because they look more like 8 ounce bottles.

Now that I look at the pic, it does look small!!! Lol They are 40oz

image-1170912664.jpg

Finished product, just gotta test it to see if it'll hold pressure. If it does, I'm gonna go buy some more.

They might be ok to bottle from a keg but don't carbonate in those. They are really just meant for decoration. Some of the tops don't seal great on those either.

Unless these are specifically made to hold pressure, this is not a good idea. Just putting some pressure on it is not enough. If you cannot find out from the maker, do not use them.

Slipgate said:
Unless these are specifically made to hold pressure, this is not a good idea. Just putting some pressure on it is not enough. If you cannot find out from the maker, do not use them.

Thanks for the advice!!! I have a keg aerator, so ill just use it/them, plan on getting a couple more to use when I go visit people. I want to get into keging my own, that that's way down the road!! Lol!!! Haven't even gotta my first batch bottled yet!!! Ok, question, I have 12 Groulsh(spelling) bottles, are theses fine to carb in? I'm thinking yes, but doesn't hurt to ask!! Lol I think that I'm gonna paint them to, gives me something to do while I wait for my first batch to get donr!!! Once again, THANKS for all the help to ppl!!

Thanks for the advice!!! I have a keg aerator, so ill just use it/them, plan on getting a couple more to use when I go visit people. I want to get into keging my own, that that's way down the road!! Lol!!! Haven't even gotta my first batch bottled yet!!! Ok, question, I have 12 Groulsh(spelling) bottles, are theses fine to carb in? I'm thinking yes, but doesn't hurt to ask!! Lol I think that I'm gonna paint them to, gives me something to do while I wait for my first batch to get donr!!! Once again, THANKS for all the help to ppl!!

Grolsch are great! As is anything that comes commercially. Bottle-away!

Excellent find!! From the look of how thick the glass seems to be and the fact that they already come with swing tops and gasket, I'm sure they were meant for some carbed beverage. Beer isn't that highly carbed anyway, but try one and see

patthebrewer said:
Excellent find!! From the look of how thick the glass seems to be and the fact that they already come with swing tops and gasket, I'm sure they were meant for some carbed beverage. Beer isn't that highly carbed anyway, but try one and see

Not true you can buy vinegar and olive oil in bottles like this

Back