Found some Homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaning out part of my basement and I find a case of 16oz fliptops.
Can't remember what was brewed or when. Must be at least 4 yrs old!
So I chill a couple and pop one.
Deep ruby red color, very clear, lots of head, but seems to fade fast.
Carb is just right.

Tastes like a barley wine. A bit like sherry, with caramel overtones, some alcohol warming, some bitterness, but no hop flavor at all.

Anyone else ever come across a find like this?

-Joel

Yup.
That's what got me back into brewing....I started off about 10 years ago...did 5 or 6 batches, then the hobby went 100% Academic for me. I tried to keep up on procedures and the occasional new brew book...but it wasn't until I found 3 mixed cases...some that were not labeled, some that were that I decided I was actually good at this brewing thing, and off it went from there.

Cleaning out part of my basement and I find a case of 16oz fliptops.
Can't remember what was brewed or when. Must be at least 4 yrs old!
So I chill a couple and pop one.
Deep ruby red color, very clear, lots of head, but seems to fade fast.
Carb is just right.

Tastes like a barley wine. A bit like sherry, with caramel overtones, some alcohol warming, some bitterness, but no hop flavor at all.

Anyone else ever come across a find like this?

-Joel

Yeah, after we brought our house I was packing up our apartment to move and when I went to pack what all along I thought was a box of empty bottles I found it was a box of full bottles, what a suprise. Probably 2-3 years old but tasted good. Must have been good beer back then too to forget it was there

I do that with every batch. Stick a six pack somewhere out of sight and it's like a surprise present when you find them a year later.

Pales don't seem to last all that well, but anything with a bit of roast to them can stand up for a while it seems.

Two years after my brewing buddy died, I was visiting his former GF (who is my business partner). We were digging through the carport & found two kegs, a big Belgian and a porter that I had missed when I moved all of the brewing equipment to Oregon. Both were good.

About 3 weeks ago, I came across some Irish Red Ale bottles I gave to my stepfather, and he put deep back in the garage fridge (guess he didn't like them). They were about 9 months old, but I had exhausted my supply 4 months earlier. They were very enjoyable; and I just kept going back to the fridge, pushing some stuff around, and I'd find another. 4 in all. Drank every one right there at his house. It was a fun little surprise.

Back