Found other methods for cleaning pH meter electrode

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I was looking for recommendations on how to clean the electrode of my Hach pH meter.

I wound up getting some Zymit, but it has a shelf life that isn't too long and wasn't particularly economical for me. I did a search this morning on the subject and found the following link.

Of particular interest to me was method #5, which was "For protein removal, soak the pH electrode in contact lens enzymatic cleaner solution overnight. The enzymes will remove proteins from glass and plastic."

Protein removal is our main concern with these electrodes in the brewing process, IIRC. If this is an acceptable solution (no pun intended), I'll be a happy man.

Does anyone have experience using this method?

(Comments on the other methods welcome as well)

Hmmm.... I'm surprised to get no feedback. Is electrode cleaning not much of an issue in most brewers minds? Rinsing well enough is good enough?

I bought the organic cleaner recommended by the meter manufacturer, use it every other batch (or when I remember that I forgot to ;))

Cheers!

Are you just trying to save money or something? Otherwise, there are products made specifically for cleaning probes, such as Milwaukee MA9016 Cleaning Solution. It works well for me.

Sure, I'm trying to be economical, but also effective. Looking at the MA9016, it shows to be a general cleaning solution, and the description states the following for special cases:

Special cleaning methods:
Oil pluggins: clean by warm water with a detergent solution for 10-20 min.
Protein: use 1% pepsin and 0.1M HCl solution for 1 hour.
Sulfides: use 0.1M Thiourea/HCl solution for 15-60 min.
Alkaline deposits: it can be removed with week acid or vinegar.
Acidic deposits: it can be removed with 0.1 molar NaOH

Since we are mainly concerned with proteins, it doesn't look like this general cleaning solution is quite the right solution for the job. I was intrigued by the listing of enzymatic contact cleaner being listed as good specifically for proteins. I already have this stuff on the shelf, so if it were a good solution - win-win

Sure, I'm trying to be economical, but also effective. Looking at the MA9016, it shows to be a general cleaning solution, and the description states the following for special cases:

Special cleaning methods:
Oil pluggins: clean by warm water with a detergent solution for 10-20 min.
Protein: use 1% pepsin and 0.1M HCl solution for 1 hour.
Sulfides: use 0.1M Thiourea/HCl solution for 15-60 min.
Alkaline deposits: it can be removed with week acid or vinegar.
Acidic deposits: it can be removed with 0.1 molar NaOH

Since we are mainly concerned with proteins, it doesn't look like this general cleaning solution is quite the right solution for the job. I was intrigued by the listing of enzymatic contact cleaner being listed as good specifically for proteins. I already have this stuff on the shelf, so if it were a good solution - win-win

I take the "Special cleaning methods" information to be for especially bad deposits, perhaps from long neglect, or from using the probe in substances that are very high in those materials. Do you have reason to think your probe has been building up protein deposits that are interfering with its operation? FWIW, I've never needed anything but MA9016 for cleaning my probes.

I had an Hach electrode go bad on me after too short a period of time when I 1st started using them. Since then I've tried to do my best to maintain the one I have, and cleaning them properly is top priority. At almost the cost of a whole meter, I don't want to buy another one prematurely.

Nothing about the "special cleaning methods" said anything about excessive deposits; it just focused on on particular scenarios, one of which is ours as brewers. I don't know the full range of what a pH meter can be used for and how much of this can be covered by a general cleaning solution, but my interpretation was that there were other recommendations for these particular scenarios..

I rinse mine after every use with distilled water, as per the instructions, and so far I've had no visible build-up. I'll have to reference the manual again and see if it has any special instructions for cleaning.

What kind of detergent?

Sorry, should have been more detailed. I rinse it off in tap water as soon as it has been used, and then clean it with dish soap once in a while. (You're supposed to rinse in distilled, but my tap water is super soft. If my electric kettle doesn't get mineral deposits after years of use, I am not worried about the pH electrode.)

Back