Found Equipment for sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
Found a guy through one of these for sale list serves by posting a "wanted - carboys" ad. He has 5 5 gal "soda kegs", a co2 bottle, 2 5 gal carboys, 1 "7" gal carboy, a "setup to do grain and then changed my mind but it has the grid in the bottom to let the mash go thru" and 2 plastic fermenting buckets. After trying to get his phone number for a week and a half I'll finally see him thurs eve to look the stuff over. He quit brewing about 9 years ago.

Any tips on what to look for in evaluating - especially, I think, the "soda kegs" and the co2 bottle.

Any ideas on values. I've been told to offer 100 bucks for the lot.

I was mainly needing carboys but the idea of getting into kegging has me interested.

No idea on how to apraise the kegs and such, check the price of new gaskets and fittings before you go look at them. Those will most likely need replacing.

Price depends on how clean the stuff is. I'd guess the plastic buckets are no good for fermenting (I wouldn't gamble a batch on them unless I were desperate, but it is nice to have sterilizing buckets).

If the kegs look reasonable (and I bet they're fine if he was using them), I'd grab em. You can get reconditioning kits with all o-rings very cheap. Other than bad dents in the lid, there aren't too many problems with kegs. You can rebuild everything that wears out very cheaply.

CO2 tank I might pass on unless you have a gas shop in town that will accept it as a swap and you can get it cheap because it's out of hydro. I had a shop accept mine that was out of hydro in a swap for a full one, so it definitely is possible. If you aren't sure, then just get a new CO2 tank elsewhere or rent one.

If the kegs can be had for, say $50-75 or less for all of them, I'd definitely grab em all. You can never have enough kegs.

Cheers :D

Janx said:
CO2 tank I might pass on unless you have a gas shop in town that will accept it as a swap and you can get it cheap because it's out of hydro. I had a shop accept mine that was out of hydro in a swap for a full one, so it definitely is possible. If you aren't sure, then just get a new CO2 tank elsewhere or rent one.

Cheers :D

What's hydro?

All compressed gas cylinders are required by federal law to get hydrostatic testing every 5 years (at least it's 5 years for scuba tanks). You could call around and see what that will cost you and factor it in, or you could ask your local gas supplier if you can swap it with them for a full one.

Last hydro I needed cost $10. Make sure they stamp the cylinder, or it will need another hydro next time. Ask me how I know?

Hydro testing is simple enough. They fill it with water (hence the 'hydro' part) and measure it's diameter. Then put in pressure, and measure again. If it does NOT expand, that means it is hard, and may crack/explode. NOT a complicated or expensive test.

I'm using a cylinder now that was born as a small CO2 fire extinguisher. A valve for the top cost $16. Plus hydro, plus fill, no labor, the welding gas shop did a freebie. Nice bright red cylinder.

Back