Found a Smartphone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeA

Reaction score
I found a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, build 4.2.1 in pretty good condition located on the steps of my apartment complex. No one claimed it in the lost and found for 2 weeks, so I kept it under the assumption that it was previously owned by a visitor or a delivery man, and not a resident.

The device had very little data stored on it, with no saved contacts, stored calls, or pictures. The only thing that was updated was the calendar, a custom screen, and custom sounds. But I formatted it anyway. When it booted up from the reformat, I didn't enter my name or connect it to a network or anything like that yet. I just shut it off until I find out if I can actually use this phone under my number.

Now, I am an active Verizon customer and my 2 year contract is up. This phone is nicer than my 3 year old piece of junk. However, I don't think that I can just stroll into Verizon and activate this phone under my number with or without a SIM card in the device. Either way would seem suspicious. Besides, the most local store is a hike from my home.

What are my options here? PM me or post in this thread.

verizon doesn't use sim cards - they will activate it for you or you can call and activate it yourself, can't recall what the fee is

Yeah they dont care. I had a phone stolen out of my truck and asked the guy if they would call me if it gets turned on. He said naw we dont have time for that just get ya a new phone and dont worry about it. So thats why there is a blackmarket for stolen phones. They just turn em back on, so your probably fine.

Verizon uses Sim cards for 4g phones but they don't store personal data like other carriers. I agree that you should try to have Verizon contact the owner.

call straight talk they will send you a new catd or acivate it for free and unlimited is 45 bucks a month they dont ask where the phone came from or even care

Back