Found a full keg of beer in street!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan0186

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning and noticed that there was a restaurant style pony keg sitting in the middle of the road. I stop and noticed that when I threw it in the truck it was full. It was an untapped keg of White Thai from a local brewery here in Charleston. I know that some of y'all are going to call me an idiot for doing this but I emailed the brewery and am giving the keg back. As much as I would love to drink it every sip I take would make me feel guilty. Maybe I will get some free beer or something for returning it....Wishful thinking.

So I was driving to work this morning and noticed that there was a restaurant style pony keg sitting in the middle of the road. I stop and noticed that when I threw it in the truck it was full. It was an untapped keg of White Thai from a local brewery here in Charleston. I know that some of y'all are going to call me an idiot for doing this but I emailed the brewery and am giving the keg back. As much as I would love to drink it every sip I take would make me feel guilty. Maybe I will get some free beer or something for returning it....Wishful thinking.

What's with all these breweries with kegs falling off the trucks?!! :)

You did the right thing... I'm not a fan of White Thai!

MC

If the sealed cap on top is not broken they can resell it for sure.

Your doing the right thing, also if you don't have a commercial setup/kegerator there's no reason to keep it anyway.
If they don't give you 20-30$ in free beer/merch I would be surprised, the deposits on those kegs are pretty decent and I know brewery's HATE loosing them

Cheers!

If the sealed cap on top is not broken they can resell it for sure.

Your doing the right thing, also if you don't have a commercial setup/kegerator there's no reason to keep it anyway.
If they don't give you 20-30$ in free beer/merch I would be surprised, the deposits on those kegs are pretty decent and I know brewery's HATE loosing them

Cheers!

In most if not all states they cannot resell that keg. It has left the HACCP chain. Just like a store cannot accept and resell a six pack even if its still sealed. But I'm sure they would be happy having the shell back

I ran into the same thing while midwest was moving to a larger warehouse. They accidentally shipped my order a 2nd time. I got them on their chat live thing,& he said they can't take back foodstuffs by federal law. so I got a second pm Berlin wheat kit,o2 caps,& 4lb bag of dextrose free. But they appreciate trying anyway. I've also gotten the Best of BYO 250 Classic Clone Recipes & a few midwest stickers for waiting so long for the first order. Great bunch of folks that really care about customer service. Never had any card troubles either.

I am going to ask them about that when I return it. If they are just going to toss the beer I want it. Even if I have to have them put it into my extra primary bucket so they can get the shell back. I don't want to see five gallons of beer go to waste.

I am going to ask them about that when I return it. If they are just going to toss the beer I want it. Even if I have to have them put it into my extra primary bucket so they can get the shell back. I don't want to see five gallons of beer go to waste.

They also may or may not do that. Because in today's unfortunate world of lawsuits that would mean they were knowingly giving you possibly tainted beer (some states free beer itself is illegal). I would hope they would give you something though.

They also may or may not do that. Because in today's unfortunate world of lawsuits that would mean they were knowingly giving you possibly tainted beer (some states free beer itself is illegal). I would hope they would give you something though.

HA! I was just going to post this same thing. When I first read this, I thought, "Hey, that'd be cool if they just told you to go ahead and drink the keg, then return the empty." But then I though, man no way they would do that, because, if by some off chance something was wrong with the beer, they'd have lawyer coming after them. Man, this litigious society we live in today sucks. I've become so jaded that even free beer is a bad idea.

It really sucks having a conscience sometimes. I wish my brother would have found it. He wouldn't have thought twice about keeping it for himself LOL.

Just say you are willing to sign a complete waiver of liability. Problem solved.

midfielder5 said:
Just say you are willing to sign a complete waiver of liability. Problem solved.

That's great if you are dealing with someone who owns the business, has a law degree or has a brain. In general, the person you deal with will have none of the three and they will pull a CYA move and not give it to you. Most people within a business are not able to get their hands on liability waivers unless it is a standard part of the job (like a skydiving company, for example). Not the case for a bar/restaurant/brewery, etc.

You should call and ask "what will you give me if I bring in the full 5gal keg I found in the street?" "And what will you give me if I return this empty 5gal keg I found in the street?"
That removes them of the liability of you making the decision whether or not to empty it.

You should call and ask "what will you give me if I bring in the full 5gal keg I found in the street?" "And what will you give me if I return this empty 5gal keg I found in the street?"
That removes them of the liability of you making the decision whether or not to empty it.

Hahahaha. I like the way you think!

I am just going to do my best to keep it and empty it at home with their permission. I honestly hate people who steal and for me to drink the beer and return an empty keg is stealing. If they want to give me the beer and then have me return the shell I am down. They are a local business I am sure they will hook me up with something. Honestly if they gave me a couple growler fill up coupons I would be happy. I am really not expecting anything when I go over there for returning it except a smack on the back and a thank you. Although not to sound like a greedy person or anything but I would be really diasppointed if they destroy the beer and I walk away empty handed. I just want the beer really. It would be a great addition to our family BBQ this weekend.

I am just going to do my best to keep it and empty it at home with their permission. I honestly hate people who steal and for me to drink the beer and return an empty keg is stealing. If they want to give me the beer and then have me return the shell I am down. They are a local business I am sure they will hook me up with something. Honestly if they gave me a couple growler fill up coupons I would be happy. I am really not expecting anything when I go over there for returning it except a smack on the back and a thank you. Although not to sound like a greedy person or anything but I would be really diasppointed if they destroy the beer and I walk away empty handed. I just want the beer really. It would be a great addition to our family BBQ this weekend.

Drink the beer and return the keg. They are going to throw the beer out. They can't resell it now. Stop acting like you are doing something wrong. Besides, who's to day it fell off one of their trucks anyways. Someone may have bought it and had it roll of their truck/trailer.

When you find a random item that is sitting on the side of the road that has obviously blown out of a pick up truck do you beat yourself up over trying to find the owner?

If it were me I would drink the keg, walk in there with their keg in hand, give it back to them and say "hey, I found this keg on the side of the road full. I drank the contents and really liked it. Thought I should do the right thing and return the keg. Thanks!"

Drink the beer and return the keg. They are going to throw the beer out. They can't resell it now. Stop acting like you are doing something wrong. Besides, who's to day it fell off one of their trucks anyways. Someone may have bought it and had it roll of their truck/trailer.

When you find a random item that is sitting on the side of the road that has obviously blown out of a pick up truck do you beat yourself up over trying to find the owner?

If it were me I would drink the keg, walk in there with their keg in hand, give it back to them and say "hey, I found this keg on the side of the road full. I drank the contents and really liked it. Thought I should do the right thing and return the keg. Thanks!"

With that loginc I completely agree with you. I didn't think about the fact that it could have come from anyones truck. I guess I could have just told them I found the empty keg in the trash and wanted to know if they give any cash back for the shells. Oh well. Whats done is done

With that loginc I completely agree with you. I didn't think about the fact that it could have come from anyones truck. I guess I could have just told them I found the empty keg in the trash and wanted to know if they give any cash back for the shells. Oh well. Whats done is done

I don't advocate lying about anything but for goodness sakes, drink the beer. Otherwise they are going to pour it down the drain.

And I don't care what people say but I use half barrel kegs for fermenting almost exclusively (wink, wink)

How do you fill a keg of this style? It the type that has a ball bearing where you screw a tap onto it? I was wondering that mysef. I just didn't know how to fill it.

When the real story is that an item "fell off a truck," I'd say scrupulous honesty is best.

How do you fill a keg of this style? It the type that has a ball bearing where you screw a tap onto it? I was wondering that mysef. I just didn't know how to fill it.

Easy, remove retaining ring, pull siphon tube out (always carefully check or o-rings), clean and refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back