Found a cheap plastic "carboy" option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWWard03

Reaction score
Hi all. While walking through SAMS yesterday, we came upon their 4 gallon water dispenser refills for $4. I'm sure it'll only give a few rounds before hitting the recycle bin, but for $4 that includes 4 gallons of filtered water and a sealable cap you can't beat it. The 3 piece airlocks I have fit perfectly into the "port" and seals perfectly well. I've got some strawberry "hooch" fermenting in it now and its working perfectly.

Attachments

• rqgRvdlwQVWla79rd1q5Rg.jpg
    rqgRvdlwQVWla79rd1q5Rg.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 72
The best part of these 4 gal water jugs at our local big box hardware store is that the companies detailed water analysis is available on their web site. This makes it very easy to make appropriate water adjustments for any specific beer that I make. Since my home water isn't great for brewing, this is a cheap way around it without buying a home RO water system or even spending money on a home water analysis. I have never used the jugs for fermenting but I am sure they would work.

The best part of these 4 gal water jugs at our local big box hardware store is that the companies detailed water analysis is available on their web site. This makes it very easy to make appropriate water adjustments for any specific beer that I make. Since my home water isn't great for brewing, this is a cheap way around it without buying a home RO water system or even spending money on a home water analysis. I have never used the jugs for fermenting but I am sure they would work.
Working good so far. Got good bubble action in the airlock so the cap is sealed.

Back