Foul odor and slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kero

Reaction score
Hello all.
I started a batch of wine 11 days ago. I used squished grapes and put them in 20 liter bottles. I didnt wash the grapes to use the yeast on them, and didnt use any additional yeast.

I feel the need to clarify because everyone seems to be adding yeast. This is the traditional method around here. everybody does this. The yeast that is naturally on the grape skins starts the fermentation and this way has worked for me perfectly twice before. But not this time. So I am here.

What was different this time:
It has gotten too hot. I used a small dark room and made a very large batch. So it heated up the room. The temperature was too high.

And the other thing is I couldnt stir it everyday during primary fermentation because i had to be away from home.

So now there is a foul smell, it is still sweet but it seems to be working very slowly. I was afraid that I let mold or some other necious stuff grow on it by not stirring. I racked a part of it thinking I could get rid of anything that may be causing the odors. But now it's working even slower, or not at all, at least visibly from the airlocks.

Thank you all for any advice.

Just guessing as there are many variables at play, but sounds like you've got a case of rhino farts. Smells kinda like sulfur/eggs. Usually caused by stressed yeast.

High temp as you mentioned can cause stressed yeast.

Not punching down the fruit cap or stirring to degas can also stress the yeast.

Also possible that you needed yeast nutrient. May not have needed ot previously, but you may have had a more stressed fermentation due to the factors you already mentioned.

Back